Drivers Side Tail Light Lens Took Flight

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Drivers Side Tail Light Lens Took Flight

Last Friday (9/23/18) I was on my way home from a Drs. appt. As I was merging onto the interstate from the on ramp, I looked into my side view mirror and saw my drivers side tail light lens flapping around in the wind. Suddenly, POOF, it took flight! Luckily there was no other vehicles behind me.

I pulled off on the next exit ramp, found a place to park, and checked out my light. Sure enough, just a silver/chrome tail light skeleton left.

I called a local salvage yard, 4 miles away. They took one off of an 08 F-150 with 19K miles. They even installed it for me and only charged me $25 + tax. Not bad!

The owner said it probably happened because of the heat. Anyone have any other ideas why it happened? I did notice that the edge of the red plastic lens sticks out about a 1/4" if you look down the bed. The passengers side sits flush. Maybe the heat got to it, the wind grabbed it where it sticks out, and POOF...........?????????????

BUT, I noticed it was still attached at the spot where it protrudes before it took flight. It came apart on the tail gate side first. Interesting, huh?

In the pic below, where the white arrow is, that's where the lens protrudes about a 1/4", maybe less. Also, that's where it was still attached while flapping in the wind before it took flight. Where the black arrow is, that's where it came loose first.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My entire tail light fell out while driving yesterday (came on here to see if this is a recurring issue)

Seriously, had a car come up next to me yelling that my entire tail light was dangling from wires behind me.

No clue, wasnt hit...........(that i know of) ......no damage to the light or anywhere around it. Black plastic inside where light mounts was broke off at all points

Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blaque
My entire tail light fell out while driving yesterday (came on here to see if this is a recurring issue)

Seriously, had a car come up next to me yelling that my entire tail light was dangling from wires behind me.

No clue, wasnt hit...........(that i know of) ......no damage to the light or anywhere around it. Black plastic inside where light mounts was broke off at all points
What year is your truck? If it's an 04-08 and you install the new light, check it to see if it mounts flush with the bed, or protrudes a little bit. Thank You.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaque
My entire tail light fell out while driving yesterday

Black plastic inside where light mounts was broke off at all points
Never heard of or seen something like that. Those mounting points can't break on their own. And they can't shatter from slamming the tailgate shut. Weird.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

The owner said it probably happened because of the heat.
​​​​​​

Heat causing parts to expand and swell is common. Doesn't always happen with consistency. And although the lamp housing should be flush with the body, not everything is perfect. Is your new lamp housing an OEM part? Was the truck that they took it off from in a collision? Maybe the lamp housing is fine, and your truck isn't straight.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fifty150
Heat causing parts to expand and swell is common. Doesn't always happen with consistency. And although the lamp housing should be flush with the body, not everything is perfect. Is your new lamp housing an OEM part? Was the truck that they took it off from in a collision? Maybe the lamp housing is fine, and your truck isn't straight.
The tail light came off of a 2008 EXT. CAB with 19K miles. The front end was totaled to the windshield.
There's an 05 F-150 near where I live that I went to check out. His drivers side tail light protrudes out the same as mine. Maybe his bed isn't straight either? I have a Drs. appt at the hospital tomorrow. The maintenance crew uses 04-08 F-150's. I'm going to go check out the tail lights on their trucks. I will take pics, if no one is around.
To be continued.................

Old 09-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fifty150
I just had my son go look for a part # on the salvage yard tail light. It DOES have an OEM part #;
6L3Z-13405-BACP
It's stamped on the bottom of the tail light.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:38 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 09-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Thumbs up

I found a pic of my truck from 2015. The drivers side tail light DEFINITELY protrudes out a little bit. Enlarge the pic to see it.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 AM
Now you have to wonder why 1 lens is flat, vs everyone else's lenses with beveled edges.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same thing happened to my Uncle's 2009 F-150 tail light (driver's side) on his way to visit us at Christmas. Bought a new OEM replacement while he was here. The passenger side fell out on his way home.

Garage kept, impeccably maintained, low mileage. Looks like brand new inside and out. Very strange.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting. I noticed that 1/4" gap on my tail light too. I always though it was just a defect on the bed.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Tail Light Lens Took Flight