Expedition / Navigator

another expedition issue grrrr

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another expedition issue grrrr

hello all... new to the group. been reading a lot on here but my issue got deeper in the rabit hole.. grrrrrr

97 expedition base model. 4.6
ok i try my best to explain issue... bare with me ...
i have the normal holes in the floor on the A pilers. so the windows stoped working... i found the plug for the door. i think.. VMM gives beeps on tracing wires to window switchs.
it was a bit crusty. so cleaned it up.. no go ..
i have power on the power wire to the switchs. so have a runnin parts expo. switched the switch asbly.. still no go .. so as this is goin on.. the radio thinks it doesnt have to turn off no more when key is off.. none factory radio but wired to factory harnes. was working fine for 3 years.

ok sooooo i did the gem out replace with one form working truck. no change. so i pull the fuse box out. one wire had some crud on it. so i cleaned it up.. rest of the fuse box looks good. no signs of water .. or water residue.
so i put it back in .. if i had switched up the 2 block plugs i would think smoke or something not be rite. major not rite so i know there back in the rite way ..
no change.... grrrrrrr

soooo i take a xtern baterry and hook it to the window switch in drivers door. rc lipo battery 14v pack.. pass f n b work fine from drivers door. drivers rear win work fine. drivers door window no gooooooo... grrrr.. get this.. hit the switch .. inside lites come on ... omg are you kidding me ..
replaced relays. tested relays. i work on old radios and new radios so i understand how relays work. can jump them on bench so on ..

sorry to say this but give me a 70s anything .. grrrrrr fords idea of this GEM is a joke...i see no reason for it at all.. but for them to make money on repairs..

so basicly 2 issues... will 3... no windows. no inside lites. radio stayin on key off out door closed.
lites when 1st last year.
windows 2 months ago.
radio week ago

door open beep beep beep with key out of truck .. and 100ft away so the thing doesnt see a key.. still beep beep beep.. no lites on at all.. close the door beep off. close the latch with door open beep goes off. wiggle the door boot to A piler nothing.. and i meen i grab that sucker and move it hard around... no baby touch..
wigglin the wires inside on the A piler. nothing..

sorry to ramble on. tryin to give as much info as i can.. iam no spring chicken to cars but darn it to heck this bug got me .. everything i can find to trace back in schematics goes to the GEM... GRRRRR 2 gems no change.
so short somewhere? the short would have to backfeed from drivers door window switch to inside lites... WTF!!!!!..... anyone got a skullcap. iam bald lol ..
does anyone have a service manual for the Gem schematic and or the whole wiring schematics. i went to haynes. they need to stick to underware. i dont want to pay chiton more money for something that isnt what i need. as i can not get a sample from them .. iam so po-r i cant aford the other O ..

any ideas help thoughts short of drivin it in the river lol ...
bev of choice to the winner ... lol

Old 09-23-2018, 01:52 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I think you may have a problem with the wire bundle that goes into the driver's door.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I think you may have a problem with the wire bundle that goes into the driver's door.
i wiggled in the door jam no change. tho as iam sure u know meens nothing .. shorts are a bugger for sure.. so next il trace it from inside the Apil to the plug after i do below..

more digging . the plug for the window harnes. or at least some of the wires. on the A piler kickpanel. 8 wires i think.. one had the copper rot at least 1 inch up the wire inside coating.
so iam goin to do the spade clips and see how it goes from there..
we changed the fuse box . the radio started goin off on key remove. then it buged up again. then it was ok .. i dont know on that one..
put the orig gem back in. all but windows seems ok ... but i still have the 2nd little relay out. the battery saver is it.. it goes nuts key no key

will hope friday i can get to redoin the one plug. go from there..

Quick Reply: another expedition issue grrrr