2015 - 2020 F-150

2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

I took delivery of my Brand New F150 8-1-18. On 8-2-18 the transmission started too slip / chatter when shifted to drive or Reverse ramdomly. I brought it to the nearest dealer and they said it was normal.. 5 days of dealing with this , I brought it to another dealer who added a couple of quarts of trans fluid.. I took the first trip up the highway with the truck with 200 miles on it and the transmission was slipping in all gears and blew a bunch of transmission oil out the back of the truck. Towed it to a 3rd dealer and they said the 2nd dealer over filled the transmission. Went 6 days with no vehicle. Got it back yesterday, took the same trip home with it, and the POS transmission was slipping the entire trip. Fluid temps average 235F. Now it's back at the original dealer that over filled the transmission. Now I'm without a vehicle again until further notice, no loaner car available. Called ford customer service, they are 100% useless!!!! The dealer did say that several trucks are having the same problem as mine and ford will not change the transmissions until they figure out the problems.. I traded in a perfectly good 2016 F150 for this POS with more bells and whistles Stay away from these 10 speed transmissions!!! Oh yeah a Ford Rep did call back and gave me free oil changes for 4 years, I told them keep that **** and put a transmission in the truck or buy this POS back..( neither are they willing to do) It only has 350miles on it..

Very disappointed in them!!! (Ford)

The following 2 users liked this post by Fred Man:
Old 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 10 speed autos in the F150 and Silverado are one and the same transmission. Ford and GM built the unit in concert with Ford being the lead engineering team. The problems with the Silverado and other platforms that GM puts the 10 speed in are well documented as having major issues. Yours is not the first F150 I've heard about with the issue of slipping and eventual self destruction. I would strongly suggest heavy documentation of everything and frankly, I'd suggest lawyering up. This isn't going to be fixed by throwing parts at it or changing your oil, unfortunately. I'm not sure why Ford is not being more active about addressing this issue considering the F150 is their cash cow. I've not heard of Ford replacing any of the defective transmissions, they only rebuild. Considering how hot some of these units gets and that it's all aluminum, I wouldn't want it in my truck. Hope all of this works out to the best for you. Nothing quite so nice as to spend all that money only to have a POS and a maker that doesn't seem to care. Hopefully you don't have one of the 3.5 EcoBoost engines that the heads didn't get bored for the oil journals to heads/camshafts. A catastrophic engine seize is in your future if you have one. Certainly makes me wonder what the hell is going on at Ford. And I WAS considering buying a new one around Christmas. That's out now and there's not a thing wrong with my 2014.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If your state has it, begin lemon law proceedings and force them to re-buy the truck...

Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Transmission problems

Thank you guys for the comments. I have met the criteria for lemon law at this point.. I will be pursuing it!! An update about the F150, it's been over 2 weeks with out a truck now. I picked it up at 8am this morning from the dealer, at 9:15am, I'm waiting for a tow again. Transmission is over heating and not shifting and slipping.. Can't make this up!!! Service manger said ,"blow it up good so they will be able to change the whole thing".. Problem is, dam thing just slips and will not blow up.. It cools down below 230 degrees and works again ( somewhat) ..

Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issues and pumping noise when drivers door opens

I have a 2018 Ford F-150- lariat sport. I have 2 issues the transmission is slipping in cold weather, it shifts rough in all weather and it seems to rev at times. I have to take it in for this issue it seems to be getting worse as it gets colder. I’ve read that others have had the same issues.
The second issue is a pumping noise when I open the drivers door after it’s been sitting for awhile. It’s coming from under the cab near the rear of the cab. I took it in for service and they advise it’s normal. It’s the fuel pump priming. I said who would design a vehicle with this annoying noise. Doesn’t seem right. Has anyone had the same issue?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Man
Thank you guys for the comments. I have met the criteria for lemon law at this point.. I will be pursuing it!! An update about the F150, it's been over 2 weeks with out a truck now. I picked it up at 8am this morning from the dealer, at 9:15am, I'm waiting for a tow again. Transmission is over heating and not shifting and slipping.. Can't make this up!!! Service manger said ,"blow it up good so they will be able to change the whole thing".. Problem is, dam thing just slips and will not blow up.. It cools down below 230 degrees and works again ( somewhat) ..
Lemon Law that truck. Don’t give up, don’t settle. Make them take it back.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Oddly, my brother recently bought a 2018 XL Sport 4x4 with the 5.0, he hasn't had any problems yet, but only a few thousand miles. It's a late build 2018, so maybe they fixed it on the newer trucks

Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took delivery of my Brand New F150 8-1-18. On 8-2-18 the transmission started too slip / chatter when shifted to drive or Reverse ramdomly. I brought it to the nearest dealer and they said it was normal.. 5 days of dealing with this , I brought it to another dealer who added a couple of quarts of trans fluid.. I took the first trip up the highway with the truck with 200 miles on it and the transmission was slipping in all gears and blew a bunch of transmission oil out the back of the truck. Towed it to a 3rd dealer and they said the 2nd dealer over filled the transmission. Went 6 days with no vehicle. Got it back yesterday, took the same trip home with it, and the POS transmission was slipping the entire trip. Fluid temps average 235F. Now it's back at the original dealer that over filled the transmission. Now I'm without a vehicle again until further notice, no loaner car available. Called ford customer service, they are 100% useless!!!! The dealer did say that several trucks are having the same problem as mine and ford will not change the transmissions until they figure out the problems.. I traded in a perfectly good 2016 F150 for this POS with more bells and whistles Stay away from these 10 speed transmissions!!! Oh yeah a Ford Rep did call back and gave me free oil changes for 4 years, I told them keep that **** and put a transmission in the truck or buy this POS back..( neither are they willing to do) It only has 350miles on it..

I have a 2018 XLT with the 10.speed transmission it's been back twice and going back tomorrow for the the trans. Only when it's cold around 6th gear it slips then feels like the truck is in neutral. When I take my foot off the gas it re-engages then bucks. I'm curious as to what they will say tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by tbohn110
I have a 2018 XLT with the 10.speed transmission it's been back twice and going back tomorrow for the the trans. Only when it's cold around 6th gear it slips then feels like the truck is in neutral. When I take my foot off the gas it re-engages then bucks. I'm curious as to what they will say tomorrow.
good luck..

My suggestion would be, you drive the truck with tech in it.. Have them acknowledge too you the problem exist.. And record them!!

I'm still going through lemon law procedure.. Transmission been apart 4 times now but continues to slip when it is warm and everytime.. Ford will not change the trans out!! Only 3000 miles on this truck now.. I have many case numbers on it too from ford.. Electrical issues, head liner came down and unglued, electric fuse box ( under hood) was wired wrong, tow 7 wire plug wiring issue, and etc.. Only good thing is when I bring it in now, there is a vehicle waiting for me to drive.. It is going back in next week to the 4th dealer to try and solve the trans problem..

Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
The 2018 and newer (direct injection) 5.0 engines also have issues with the cylinders, look on the Mustang forums... that issue will hit our trucks too because it's the same block

Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM
2018 F150 10 Speed transmission failure

I am having same problem with my truck. Had hard shifting from very beginning. The truck went in for repairs almost 6 months for four times and it only has 13000 KMs on it. Long story short the Ford dealership (Formula Ford) repaired trany twice, replaced tranny once and replace motor once and still it's sitting in my driveway with all tranny still hardahifting and shudders. The manufacturert(Ford) still wants more time to fix. I bought it in November 2017 and only driven it 13000 KMs so far. They don't care about customers anymore all they care about is new customers and that's it.
​​QUOTE=Fred Man;5240030]

[/QUOTE]

Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM
My F150 mess

I bought my 2018 F-150 in January. As soon as it hit 350 miles, the trans started slipping. Running along interstate it feels like it is constantly slipping. WORST F-150 I have owned and this is my 3rd one. I've filed a service claim and am now sitting at my dealer for 2nd time over this issue. My vehicle has a stink...smell to it after I drive it.
I am SO sick....I've got over 40,000 invested in a bad vehicle

Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Hi guys, new member here, I have 2 issues with my 2018 and since this is a transmission thread I will post issue number one here.

My truck has rough upshifts from 4-5 and downshifts from 5-4, it seems this might be a common issue with the 10 speed. I took it to the dealership and they reprogrammed it and it was okay for about a week but now the same condition has returned. I traded a 2011 with the 6 speed which I owned since new with no shifting issues. I like this new truck but I would love to have my old 6-speed transmission back. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM
P0757 shift solinoid b stuck on

i have an 18 3.5 with 27k km on it and the trans just took a dump or at least 3rd gear. I have to have it towed to the dealer now because it’s oretty much not drivable, I had to drive it home in manual mode when this happened. So far otherwise I’ve had no problems or issues but have noticed the trans a bit clunky in past and had weird 2-3 shifts but just brushed it off. Now that I read ipnin the 10sd I can see that I’m not alone with the issues and it’s more common, my dealer tech told me on phone there’s like 9 tsb out on it right now.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I would be one of the lucky ones, but at 9k, my 5.0 started slipping in 1st and hard shifting coming out of 3d yesterday. Gets dropped at the dealer Sunday night.

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)