Lightning

lightning brake hot, sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightning brake hot, sticking

2003 F150 lightning right rear brake caliper sticks and about melts down. replaced master cylinder, caliper, rotor, with new motorcraft parts, and complete rear stainless line kit from stifflers , same problem. truck only has 37 thousand on it. puzzled by only right rear sticking , left side fine.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Did you lube the slide pins?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:40 PM
yep their good caliper slides easy, problem it is holding pressure like it has a residual valve . the lines come off a tee fitting on the housing, left one is loose when you let off brakes right one tight

Old 07-15-2018, 01:20 PM

Only a couple things come to mind...

1. Your ABS module is having an issue.
2. There is debris in the hard metal lines causing a vacuum.

If it was the master cylinder, I would think it would happen to all the brakes and you'd feel a weird pedal sensation.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would still try to replace that caliper that's sticking...what brand caliper did you get as I seem to recall someone on LR.com having the same issue on a rebuilt caliper. Apparently they use the old phenolic pistons that have already 'swelled' and will stick.

Check out Post #6 here...

Sticking Caliper

Just a thought if all else checks out alright...

Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Replaced the caliper with a Motorcraft new old stock one the local ford dealer had. stuck first time i drove it . I took the old caliper from the lightning and put it on my 01 screw and it worked fine. The lines on the rear end housing are new as well as the flex lines. On the debris I never considered that, it could have moved from the main line into the tee and be blocking either in the hard line or the flex . Going to take all the lines off flush and inspect tomorrow, will post with results, thanks.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 AM

The only reason I say debris is because I had this same problem with my '00 Dakota this year. My front right was sticking, even though I replaced the caliper 2 years ago and it's only a garage queen and gets driven max 1k a year if that only during the summer. All slides looked good and everything. I thoroughly flushed the brake lines and voila, no more sticking brake. Here I was going to chuck a good caliper. I did notice some particles in the brake fluid. So whatever I did to flush it, fixed it.

One more thing... get a lot of brake fluid and don't feel bad about wasting it on flushing the system a couple times. It is cheap.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
preferably a power flush

Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Had the whole brake system power flushed today. Seems to have helped some. Drove around town and a few miles on I state running a lot cooler than before, but still about 100 degrees hotter than other side. Tech said to run it and watch it should get better. Sure hope so . thanks for all suggestions.

Quick Reply: lightning brake hot, sticking