2004 - 2008 F-150

Leaky Sliding Back Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Sliding Back Window

First post! I've been using this site for the past couple years, but just got around to registering to be able to post.

I have been fighting leaks in my 05 F-150 Lariat for the past few years. I recently found that the weather-stripping at the base of the sliding back window isn't butted up to the vertical strip on the drivers side. This is causing water to pour through the base of the window, down behind my backseat, and into the wiring channel. I have the replacement weather stripping from Tasca parts (part number: 4L34-1542052-DA). I was hoping someone who has undertaken this job before could give me a little instruction, since the instructions that came with the parts are sort of hard to understand.

Do I have to take out the whole back glass? Or can I just remove the sliding glass portion and replace the weather-stripping that way?

I also have a minor leak coming from behind my hood latch/parking brake assembly that I'll have to dive into at some point.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would ask a glass repair business.

In fact, it might be cost effective (less hassle) to have them do it.

I had to replace some weather stripping on a my '99 F150 when I was a young lad, and my local glass place did it for $20 and took them 20 minutes because they had the knowledge and the tools.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I pulled mine seals out and re glued them into place with extra attention to the bottom corners. I know the older ones you could Weazle the slider out but the glass shop I talked to out here told me the entire window has to come out to remove it. I ended up using plastic putty blades to wedge them in place while the glue dried. Never leaked again.

The strip on the bottom seems to shrink away from the corners letting water in.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I may call the glass shops around town to get a quote for the work. The bottom strip has shrunken away from the left side causing about an inch or so gap. Probably a safer bet than me messing up these strips and having to spend another $75 on them.

Quick Reply: Leaky Sliding Back Window