1997 F150 XLT Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 XLT Engine Swap

Alright so I dont know too much about cars yet, im doing my best to learn, but I have a 97 F150 that we have owned since before I was born. Its on its last leg and I absolutely love the old thing. Its got a 4.6L v8 and starting to sketch me out. Its my dream car because of sentimental reasons and I’ll pay loads of money to keep it alive if i have to (and if i can one day afford it lol). Instead of throwing in another gas gourging v8, is it possible to swap to the new ecoboost v6 along with changing up the whole drivetrain of course. If so, about how much would that cost me? Thank you, I really appreciate the help

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
If you are sentimental about it, you might as well keep the OEM internals.

If you get the 4.6l properly tuned and everything running correctly, it will get better gas mileage than what you are probably used to.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
If you are sentimental about it, you might as well keep the OEM internals.

If you get the 4.6l properly tuned and everything running correctly, it will get better gas mileage than what you are probably used to.
Obviously that would be the smarter option, but Im just an idiot who wants the ridiculous raptor-like power in my stupid 21 year old truck lol

Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Alright so I dont know too much about cars yet
And you want to:

swap to the new ecoboost v6 along with changing up the whole drivetrain of course.
Anything is possible with enough money and enough work. This is something that I highly doubt you would be able to pull off. There is a LOT more involved than just changing the engine and driveline. You will essentially have to rewire the whole truck, the electronics will be more difficult than the mechanics.

If the 4.6 is on its last legs, just rebuild it or drop another 4.6 in or do a 5.4 swap. Anything else will get way too involved and expensive.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by glc
And you want to:

Anything is possible with enough money and enough work. This is something that I highly doubt you would be able to pull off. There is a LOT more involved than just changing the engine and driveline. You will essentially have to rewire the whole truck, the electronics will be more difficult than the mechanics.

If the 4.6 is on its last legs, just rebuild it or drop another 4.6 in or do a 5.4 swap. Anything else will get way too involved and expensive.
yea i realized that the whole deal is a stretch but i saw an old *** F1 with an ecoboost and I got dreaming. Figured I would ask and see what its worth

Old 06-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It's amazing with the electronics... at one of the local college's I work for, they are building an open source based ECU system, which is arduino-based. It appears as if an auto-giant might be interested in taking focus on the prototype.

They are looking to cut the issue of having multiple computers for their vehicles. They want one, where they can simply load the base OS and firmware on based on the spec of the vehicle. Which down the road, might help in swaps like the mentioned.

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 XLT Engine Swap