2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F150 4.6 - Lots of issues after fender bender

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 4.6 - Lots of issues after fender bender

Hey guys! New to posting to the forum but been lurking for a while Just bought this new to me 2005 F150 4.6 Crew Cab 2WD, about 2 months ago. I had zero issues with it up until 2 weeks ago. Now it seems like its (literally) falling apart. For those wondering, it has about 245,000 km on it (Canada).

Until about 2 weeks ago it was fantastic. Then one sunny afternoon my wife parked the truck on the street in front of our house. Between 12 pm and 7 pm, someone had struck my truck in the front end. the steel bumper was caved in a bit, but otherwise, did not seem like there was any other damage. The painted part of the bumper was fine except for a few minor marks. Of course, person who hit me didn't leave any info. So it was a hit and run. Filed a police report immediately, but originally decided not to file with insurance since I thought it was purely cosmetic.

Until I started to hear clunking. The clunking wasn't too bad initially, and then it got worse as I drove the truck more over the following days. Then I decided to file with insurance. But afterwards, about a week after the accident, the truck started to develop a squealing sound when the truck was around the 2000-2500 rpm mark, sometimes higher.. It didn't matter which gear I was in. It got to a point where it was almost embarrassing to drive. Thought maybe it was the serpentine belt or water pump, or a pulley...but didn't hear it when truck was in neutral or park.

Then the unthinkable. I seen a leak under my truck. It was red in colour. First thing I thought was my transmission fluid. Monitored the leak for a few days, and sure enough, it was leaking and getting all over the undercarriage. Checked the levels and it started to get lower.

Called my body shop and got a rental arranged asap. I was driving the truck today to the body shop and when I got above 100 km/h, my truck started to shake violently. Steering wheel was vibrating violently too, and I could feel it through my seat. I took it above 110 km/h and the shaking started to die down a bit, but the minute I went between 100-110 km/h, it came back.

My appointment for the body shop to fix the truck is July 4th. But in the mean time, the thing I want to ask is, has anybody had these issues before and know what the outcome was? Is it likely that a vehicle backing into my front end (front driver side) could cause all these issues? I didn't have a single issue with the truck until this accident happened. It just shocks me.

My guess is the impact must've been decent for the steel bumper to cave in on its own...but want some input about the mechanical issues.

Thanks!

Last edited by kellmike626; 06-18-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Short answer - yes.

My buddy had a '04 Explorer, and he was at a stop light and the idiot in front of him put his minivan in reverse and rammed into his truck.

He decided not to file a police report (shame on him...) and obviously can't do an insurance claim.

The next day he noticed a wet spot on his driveway. He drove to work, and had me look at it. I noticed his transmission cooler was bent and 2 lines were leaking. I also noticed his front drive shaft was sticking out a bit further than normal from the diff.

He took it to Ford, and they had to replace the cooler, the lines, and they found that the frame was tweaked. At the song and dance of $1200, he got the leak fixed, but had to deal with a tweaked frame. Even with a 4 wheel alignment, it never drove right again.

Your incident, sounds like this same incident.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 4.6 - Lots of issues after fender bender