Short cycling - all new parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short cycling - all new parts

2000 Ford F150 4.2 liter - just replaced everything except the evaporator ( - that was flushed - good flow.) Wondering if I need to replace the compressor again. Air isn't as cold as I would like it to be. HELP!!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:48 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
If it's short cycling and not getting cold, it's probably not properly charged.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Right on with glc. Check the charge WITH the right tools. Not using the can...

Old 06-16-2018, 05:19 PM
glc
The ONLY proper way to charge the system is evacuate it with a vacuum pump, then charge it with the exact weight of refrigerant that's specified. You shouldn't even be working on it without the proper tools and equipment. You might be able to get close with just a set of gauges - both low and high side. If the system has been opened, using a vacuum pump is mandatory, all air must be removed.

Best suggestion at this time if you don't have all the required equipment? Take it to a pro and have it done.

When you put the new compressor in, did it come with oil already in it? If not, the specified amount of oil must be added.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The ONLY proper way to charge the system is evacuate it with a vacuum pump, then charge it with the exact weight of refrigerant that's specified. You shouldn't even be working on it without the proper tools and equipment. You might be able to get close with just a set of gauges - both low and high side. If the system has been opened, using a vacuum pump is mandatory, all air must be removed.

Best suggestion at this time if you don't have all the required equipment? Take it to a pro and have it done.

When you put the new compressor in, did it come with oil already in it? If not, the specified amount of oil must be added.
I am a professional I own my own Shop, LOL. Been in this business for 28+ years. The system was vacuumed down. Compressor came with oil, but not the specified amount - added the remainder when the other parts were replaced (NOT all to the compressor). Think I know my issue - the parts were not Factory Air - Customer supplied Four Seasons. Compressor is making a grinding noise. This thing failed right out of the box!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM
glc
Sounds like you know what you are doing! It's hard to tell someone's background and capabilities from a single one line post!

Quick Reply: Short cycling - all new parts