Heater Core And Blower Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Core And Blower Problems

I have a 2010 5.4 with 190000 miles. A couple weeks ago the blower started acting up. It would not come on one afternoon so I checked the fuses and relays and everything looked good and since it wasn't fan speed related I figured it was just the blower motor going bad. So I spent $90 on a new blower from Amazon. The next morning I crank it up and the blower is working just fine. A couple days later it goes out again and I figured out I can lightly hit up around the blower in the right spot and it will turn back on. No big deal since i have another on order and hitting it can get me through the week til I can fix it. But after a couple days of "Fonzieing" my blower, I started to notice a smell that could only be antifreeze. Found out that probably meant a bad heater core so I order a new one. Not a fun job but since I recently went through the blend door nightmare repair and had experience removing the dash I figure I could do this myself too. The next day I noticed a puddle on the passenger side right behind the tire (there were no leaks inside though) that was clearly coolant so I parked the truck til the weekend when I could get to it. Weekend comes around and I remove the dash with no problems and get the old heater core out. It is wet and has coolant in the bottom of the box so I'm sure its been leaking. Put new heater core and new blower in and finally get everything put back together. Crank the truck up and the first thing I realize is that the fan still isn't working!!! And then once it gets up to temp it starts dripping in the same place it was before!!! But now there is no antifreeze smell!! So I have no idea where to go from here! Thinking of replacing the heater hoses cause maybe its running down the heater tubes and out the condensation drain. I'm guessing the fan just has a short in the wiring somewhere or the resistor is bad? Its just real hard to believe that a new core is leaking that badly. I've read about coolant electrolysis but it seems like that would still take a couple weeks to eat through a heater core. Anybody have any Ideas cause I'm lost?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Leaking hose or bad clamps? The new cores are made poorly, possibly a bad core. I went thru 2-3 radiators on one of my trucks in 1-2 years.....junky chinese made parts nowadays.....I know....very frustrating!

Check for voltage before and after resistor. You should get a positive reading on both sides of the resistor (one should be 12v not sure on other side but should be a positive voltage).

Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Depending on the HVAC system you have it may or may not have a resistor pack. Some are computer controlled.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:17 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
how does this one look?

Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Jimbo, I think you replied to the wrong thread?

Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 PM
I am sorta tagging on to your thread.

I have a 2010 platinum where the heater is not blowing out air. I have
1. Replaced blend door actuator
2. replaced resistor
3. Checked coolant
4. Pulled motor and jumped to battery (Works find)
5. Checked fuses and relay
6. Nothing leaking out of heater core

I go thru all the switches for auto or manual set and no air out of any vents. When hi/low switch for fan is used you can see on led screen going up and down. Blower will not kick on. No sound

Quick Reply: Heater Core And Blower Problems