1997 - 2003 F-150

Dome light wire, driver side kick panel - interior LED install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome light wire, driver side kick panel - interior LED install

I'm sorry if this has been asked for the 97-03, but I cant find it in any of the searches I've done. I want to put led strips on the dome / third brake circuit and cant narrow the exact trigger wire down. I've read that it's one of the light blue wires on the driver kick panel. Does anyone know which specific pin number in the harness relates to this? I found the black/light blue on the passenger side for courtesy step, but would prefer to wire to dome circuit. I'm replacing dome and third brake with LED and adding 4 strips under the dash and rear seats. Can I use the dome circuit for this without over drawing, or should I create a new circuit for these lights at the fuse panel and simply fire a relay off of the dome circuit to this new one? I just don't want to start blowing fuses regularly and I'm not sure what else may be on dome circuit.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice regarding this. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
It's not so simple to work out unless you know the following.

Third brake light powers through the brake pedal switch.
The Interior Dome lights are two separate functions.
1. The door switch operation.
2. The Manual Dome light switches.
There are 4 lamps in the dome fixture.
The Dome lights, both functions, are monitored by a module that powers them down if lighted for some length of time with any activity.
So they don't run the battery down over extended lengths of time.
I would set up a new circuit and not work on the stock wiring risking poor results.
Good luck.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the dome light.
Turn the dome light circuit on, light removed.
Use your meter to check the voltage on the tabs of the dome light, one will be 12, the other will be 0 (ground).

Note the color of the 12v wire, and the direction it goes. My guess is that it will go to the floor, under the door sill strips along the edge of the carpet. Find the same color wire. The wire will not change color from the source to the load, so any wire you find that is that color should be the same circuit.

You can piggy back lots of LEDs onto a lighting circuit without fear of overload. An LED takes a fraction of the load of a light bulb, but if it worries you then add a relay that switches on and off with the factory circuit, and then provides power to a new circuit to drive the LEDs. Do not forget to fuse the new circuit. Run a wire from the battery to the contacts of the relay (use a fuse on this wire), then connect the LEDs to the remaining contact of the relay. Keep in mind, a relay can have normally open and normally closed contacts. You need to connect the correct set of contacts. NO is a contact that is open when the relay is at rest, NC is a contact that is closed when the relay is at rest. NO changes state to closed when the relay is energized, NC changes state to open.

Quick Reply: Dome light wire, driver side kick panel - interior LED install