4R75E Transmission Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R75E Transmission Interchange

I know this forum is dedicated to trucks, but dedicated van forums are pretty much nonexistent as far as I can tell! We have a 2008 E350 Van with the 5.4 engine and the 4R75E Q code transmission. The transmission is toast (gear damage I'm sure) and only 2007 & 2008 van transmissions will directly interchange it seems. In particular I'm wondering about a used 2010 version of this transmission, but information on whatever else could be made to work would be great. We will be doing the work ourselves and can make some modifications as we go but we would like to know what is possible and how extensive such modifications would be. I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help us with this somewhat off topic problem! Thanks!

Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009-2014 transmissions have different solenoids and different internal wire harness. you can use a 2010 transmission, but you will have to remove the valve body from the case and the shift lever from the case to swap the EPC solenoid and swap the wire harness case connectors over.

2005 to 2008 4R75 transmissions will be a direct swap. you should be able to find a good transmission from a 2wd truck or E series van. you might have to swap the shift lever over IF its different on the truck.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Fantastic!

That's great news! Being able to use a truck transmission is a total game changer as used truck transmissions are far easier to come by than van transmissions! I wish I had consulted the experts such as you here on this forum a long time ago! Thank you muchly! I had used car-part.com and it showed that only 2007-2008 VAN transmissions would work. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM
4 x 4 transmission?

Thanks again for the help, mitymerc! There may be a lot more trucks around than vans, but almost all of them are 4 x 4's, at least in my neck of the woods! So what are the chances that a 4 x 4 transmission could be made to work in our van, perhaps by swapping the tailshaft? Do you (or anyone else) know what that would involve, or if it is possible? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2018, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by let'scancelwint
Thanks again for the help, mitymerc! There may be a lot more trucks around than vans, but almost all of them are 4 x 4's, at least in my neck of the woods! So what are the chances that a 4 x 4 transmission could be made to work in our van, perhaps by swapping the tailshaft? Do you (or anyone else) know what that would involve, or if it is possible? Thanks!
swapping the output shaft requires taking the transmission completely apart, since the output shaft is the first part you install when you assemble the unit.

it is possible, but if you are going through all the trouble, you might as well just rebuild the unit you already have

Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM
re: 4 x 4 transmission?

Thanks mitymerc! I watched a YouTube video where a technician was showing a disassembled 4R75E. He pointed out that the only thing wrong with it was broken gear teeth, and that this is somewhat of a weakness in these transmissions. Because of the way our transmission acted on it's deathbed, I'm fairly certain that is what is wrong with it. I also found a pretty detailed video on rebuilding this transmission, and now given your info here we are seriously considering opening it up to see about rebuilding it ourselves! But what about the debris that has undoubtedly circulated throughout the transmission and torque converter? Any advice on how to make sure we get it all cleaned out? And is it possible to clean out of the torque converter, or would it have to be replaced? Thank you for your very generous help!

Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The torque converter should always be replaced when rebuilding or replacing a transmission. The lines and cooler need to be thoroughly flushed.

Quick Reply: 4R75E Transmission Interchange