Replace Coil Connector 5.0 HELP!

Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Coil Connector 5.0 HELP!

i purchased my 2014 5.0 second hand and i was not sure what maintenance was done or not done. soooooo i decided to check out the plugs. every thing went well until i got to the number 4 cylinder and the coil connector broke!!! it didn't break completely more like the top half snapped off. its on there snug but it doesn't clip in as before. i wrapped some electrical tape around and walked away. its not going anywhere. no big deal.

WRONG! its bugging me. i like things to be "right"

i have the official motorcraft replacement connector with pigtail but i really don't want to splice in a new connector.

i also have four factory unwired plugs and i really want to re-pin a the connector. i checked online and someone has done it. i was hoping someone else may have done it and could offer more advice on how to do it?

yes i know it just splice it in! i am a pain in my own butt!!

thank you in advance R-R

Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Generally speaking, most automove connectors

In most "critical" connectors there is a "keeper" or locking mechanism inside the body of the connector, just slides out or pops off depending the style. It's usually contrasting color like a red cap on a black connector

Then there are one or two tiny plastic dtents that need to be released for the pin to slide out of the connector body. Takes a terminal tool to properly release it

Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM
i took one apart a plug only (no wires or pins) on the bench last night - took about 15-20 minutes (i have terminal tools) it does take patiences.

two dtents on the back remove the backing "plate" and "blue" plug
two slots on the face of the cream colored center part of the connector - need to wedge tools between black dtents and the cream center part and work it outwards
done

there would be more steps if there were pins and wires - i.e. releasing the pins and pushing them out the back

there is a lot of wriggling the parts apart PIA

it was hard enough on the bench - i am not sure how it will go inside the engine compartment

i would actually pay someone to do the job - but i am not sure who would do it - thought about checking with the local auto stereo shop.
RR

Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I don't know where you are located, but I'd recommend a place that does electronic work (not car audio shop). Those guys have tools, experience, and patience that no one else has.

I would be very happy to help if you lived near me. On the side, I work on/repair delicate electronics. For example soldering, reflow work, PCB design/layout, emergency/HAM comm, equipment autopsy, and consumer electronic repair and diag. Along with LED lighting and PoE lighting integration.

Repairing those connectors is something I've done for a long time.

In fact, I use some of these "automotive" connectors on my custom projects... if they can withstand automotive use, they can be used for outdoor signage and other applications.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM
I would like to think that i can do it - i mean my bench disassembly was successful but that's on the bench.

and it's cylinder 4 - way back in there

thank you for the offer! i am in watertown, ny - not too far away!

Last edited by ranger-rick; 05-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Ahh, we are semi-close neighbors.

I used to travel up there a lot for Ft. Drum and other venues... so it used to be "close". Now I'm used to a <10 mile commute everyday -- AND that seems like a drive! LOL

If you took it apart on the bench, then you will for sure be able to do it inside the engine.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM
yes semi close lol. PM sent

Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Man of you were local I would knock it out, will work for beer lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Coil Connector 5.0 HELP!