1997 - 2003 F-150

squeaky front passenger side wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky front passenger side wheel

Hi I have an 03 f150 lariat 2 WD supercab I'm having a random squeak as the wheel rotates on the passenger side front tire it's definitely not a ball joint from what I've seen read and heard I'm assuming bearing I haven't had a chance to Jack it up but last I knew the lower ball joints where in need of change however it's not while I turn or if I depress the front end it's while I drive it started when I was going over ten mph then I stopped got out took a look and no sign of any thing so I took off again and after stopping as soon as I pulled back on the road it was goin again however louder and more aggressive any ideas on what o could be dealing with?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes, that would be the bearing.

To replace the bearing, you need to buy the brake rotor/bearing and the spindle nut.

Last edited by ManualF150; 04-26-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Will it come with the bearing or is it going to be separate and I've only ever owned 4x4s how bad is the labor on it I do my own work the majority of the time as my father has a loft I'm his garage

Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
To replace the bearing, you need to buy the brake rotor/bearing.
Nope, not on a 03 2wd. Bearings on those are traditional, they just drop in to the hub. Rotor and hub are integral. You need inner and outer bearings, and a grease seal. Bearings do not come pregreased, you will have to pack them.

Inspect the spindle and the bearing races for damage when you have it torn down.

I have asked the moderators to merge your 2 threads and move it to the 97-03 truck forum.

Last edited by glc; 04-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM
wheel bearing removal

Does anyone have any info on the process of removing and replacing the front wheel bearing / rotor /hub assembly on an 03 2wd f150 and if the spindle nut is the same size as the one on a 4x4 expedition from 98 I'm new to the newer fords I've always owned 94-96 until my 98 expedition and my 03 f150

Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Lift the brake caliper.
Remove the hub dust cover.
Remove the cotter pin and castellated nut.
Undo the spindle nut and pull the rotor and hub off.
The outer bearing and washer will drop out.
Remove the grease seal and lift the rear bearing out.
Clean off the spindle, bearing races, and inside of the hub.
Pack the new bearings with grease.

Reverse steps to install, using a new grease seal.
Reuse the spindle nut, washer, and castellated nut, tighten the nut with a socket wrench while spinning the rotor by hand.
Torque specs aren't really important, just get it as tight as you can with a short ratchet or breaker bar.
Stop spinning, then loosen the nut 1/4 turn.
Tighten the nut again with your fingers.
Put the castellated nut back on to align slots in it with the cotter pin hole in the spindle.
Use a new cotter pin.

I have asked the moderators to merge your 2 threads and move it to the 97-03 truck forum.

Last edited by glc; 04-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03lariat2wd
Hi I have an 03 f150 lariat 2 WD supercab I'm having a random squeak as the wheel rotates on the passenger side front tire it's definitely not a ball joint from what I've seen read and heard I'm assuming bearing I haven't had a chance to Jack it up but last I knew the lower ball joints where in need of change however it's not while I turn or if I depress the front end it's while I drive it started when I was going over ten mph then I stopped got out took a look and no sign of any thing so I took off again and after stopping as soon as I pulled back on the road it was goin again however louder and more aggressive any ideas on what o could be dealing with?

I'm sorry, but I subscribe to the First Things First rule of automotive repair. It is folly to jump directly to a wheel bearing because the far more likely problem is the brakes. You have to remove the brakes to get to the rotor, but you might find that you stop your repair activities after taking the brakes off. The pads can easily make a light scraping sound at end life. If you ignore the light scraping, it will eventually become a hard grinding noise. You cannot see if the brake pads are worn without taking the tire off, then you can't miss a worn pad. You are describing worn brakes, not a bad wheel bearing.

Might I suggest you buy some punctuation, it is really hard to figure out what you are saying when you never use a comma or a period.

Quick Reply: squeaky front passenger side wheel