1997 - 2003 F-150

Hi flow questions, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi flow questions, please help

Im thinking of replacing my stock cats with magnaflow hiflow cats, i believe mine are bad and i want something that will sound good and last, im thinking of getting these https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partnumber=94106. But i dont know anything about exhaust work, they are weld in cats, but my stock ones are bolt in so im not sure how im supposed to put these in, and if i do will my truck throw a code, and also FINAL QUESTION do i use these to replace my front cats or rear cats

Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Factory Cats were never bolted in.
They were a welded assembly per side and came together at the crossover.
You should use s Scanner to look at the activity of the rear Ox Sensors.
They are there to monitor the health of the Cats each side.
This is done by comparing the switch ratio to the front Ox Sensors.
The rear Sensors should be relatively stable in output. If they tend to follow the front Sensors either side, then they are beginning to lose effectiveness.
When the ratio becomes out of spec, a code will set for the bank as either a 420/421 or 430/431 code. Look these up and see what the description is.
You should not guess about this but look with a Scanner, unless your bound to convince yourself otherwise you want to change them.
Good luck.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM
I personally talked to Magnaflow over the phone approx 1 month ago regarding their cats. The guy said these are not high flow cats,and high flow cats do not exist. He said that companies have made that false claim for years to sell the cat systems.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I agree with one possible exception, the cats used on such cars as Corvettes and other high performance cars are (from the factory) equipped with higher flow rate cat systems.
For 'these trucks' there are no high flow units that are legal to sell. You see Federal Laws gets involved. They don't want you messing with the Cats!
On a truck that makes power no higher than a reasonable 5000 rpm and needs low end torque, the cats flow more than enough to be of little restriction within the RPM range.
The younger people still are getting wrapped up in the hot rod mentality of years back and 'intake' everything they hear and see from others.
These vehicles are computer controlled to the point you can't just bolt on or make simple changes and get huge power gains without the computer making adjustments trying to stay within the stock designed program and hardware operation.
One must understand that any motor, as the RPM goes, higher begins to increase in flow restrictions in the intake, ports in and out and exhaust.
We normally don't run at high RPM to go somewhere so the stock provided hardware is adequate for the purpose.
The manufacturers also kept up with changes to increase power over the years to the point of practical optimization
Hot rodding is for modified systems and the race track.
The rest is just for show, making noise, and talk, keeping after market vendors in business.
Better to go with a newer truck with supercharging than try to get power out of these models.
They already did the hot rodding work for you.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Well down here in Georgia we dont have emmisions laws so thats one thing i dont have to worry about, and im not looking for more power or torque, im just trying to make my truck sound better and since my cats are clogged, was gonna replace it with something better sounding

Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If they are clogged and you don't have emissions to worry about, just gut them.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM
I was also thinking about that but idk how to to about gutting them

Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Lmao, ill try that

Quick Reply: Hi flow questions, please help