Pre-1997 Models

Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring problem

I need some help from anyone that's good with wiring, I recently bought a 91 f150 auto 2wd with the 300, it needed a wiper switch so got a new one from AutoZone, I was told that a spot on the bottom was the ground so not thinking I put the ground wire from the old one in there and when I turned on the key it fried that wire, now when I turn the key there's nothing, no fuel pump no lights on the dash, Windows don't work radio don't work, the dome light and horn and the dinger works when the keys in but nothing else, anyone have any idea what I can do? Where to start? All the fuses are good also, thanks in advance

Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look for a burned fusible link in one of the wires coming off the fender mounted relay(solenoid).

Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by outlawstang
I need some help from anyone that's good with wiring, I recently bought a 91 f150 auto 2wd with the 300, it needed a wiper switch so got a new one from AutoZone, I was told that a spot on the bottom was the ground so not thinking I put the ground wire from the old one in there and when I turned on the key it fried that wire, now when I turn the key there's nothing, no fuel pump no lights on the dash, Windows don't work radio don't work, the dome light and horn and the dinger works when the keys in but nothing else, anyone have any idea what I can do? Where to start? All the fuses are good also, thanks in advance
Originally Posted by masseyman
I would look for a burned fusible link in one of the wires coming off the fender mounted relay(solenoid).
ok I'll try to check that out when I get home today

Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 PM
I can't seem to find any fuseable links

Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Update

Originally Posted by outlawstang
I pulled the plug off the ignition switch and I have no power coming into it, shouldn't there be power going to it?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM
found the links thanks for the help

Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Awesome! Great job!

Quick Reply: Wiring problem