New Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires

I finally got tired of sliding around in the snow and pulled the trigger on new tires. I will admit that I was rather impressed with the stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA in the snow. Unfortunately, while they still had enough tread for summer road driving, the snow became a major obstacle.

After much research, and based on my needs, I finally decided on Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. I searched for hours and could find a bad review from someone who actually owned them. I needed a tire that was snow capable, but didn't want to buy a dedicated winter tire. Because of this, my search was limited to tires that had obtained the 3PMSF rating. Then I realized how much more expensive tires are in the stock size that is on my truck - P275/65R18. I did not need or want LT tires. I finally settled on going with a P265/70R18. They are a bit less than 1/2 inch skinnier and about 1/2 inch taller. My speedometer has always been off by about 1 or 2 mph (based on the trucks diagnostic mode and my GPS). This new tire size fixed that.

Now, onto my review of these tires. First, you will find that just about all of the off-roaders are now loving these tires. I will probably never know that ability of the tire, but it is good to know. I only have a few hundred miles on them at this point, and it hasn't snowed, so my opinion is still somewhat limited.

1. They are a but noisier than the Goodyear SRA on the road, but considering the tread pattern of the tire, they are surprisingly not overly noisy. A light hum. The tire noise from trucks next to me on the highway is louder than mine.

2. They ride, while smooth, very firm. I have them at 35 psi and you know when you hit a small bump or hole in the road. I think the fact that the load rating is 116 vs the 114 of the Goodyear may be part of this. If you drive on smooth roads, this is not a problem, but if you live in NW Pennsylvania like I do, they are a bit firmer.

3. Snow traction: this opinion is a bit limited due to the fact that it hasn't snowed since I put them on. I did go find a few parking lots that were covered in packed snow and I was happy with the performance. I got the feeling that I will be satisfied when the white stuff starts to fly again.

Overall, I am very happy with them and will likely purchase another set when this set wears out.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Nice tires.

I got General Grabber AT2 tires and they are noisy, but grip very well.

So far they are lasting. Right now I got about 35k on them.

I went from Hankook Dynapros... which were fine if you lived on desert dry roads.

Quick Reply: New Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires