2015 - 2020 F-150

Replacing the Fob Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the Fob Key

Ok, recently our family bought a 2016 Ford F150 4x4. Problem is it is has a Fob/smart Key system and some of the family aren't quite ready to modernize. Is it possible for a locksmith or dealer make a regular key for the truck without the Fob?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Have you ASKED a dealer or a locksmith?

Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 PM
You should be able to buy keys with the remote buttons in the head of the key. If that's what you're asking but get ready to fork out some $$$$.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes, you can make regular "chipped" keys with no buttons. A competent locksmith can do this.

Getting regular chipped keys is a lot cheaper than fobs and fob/key integration...

Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Here is what I did. Google a 'laser cut' key maker in your area. Order fobs from Amazon, around $40? Have the key cut. Make sure it goes into the ignition and will turn. The truck won't start of course. That means the key was cut correctly. Then find directions (your manual) for the procedure needed to activate the key. You'll need two of the already correctly programmed keys in the vehicle to do it.
It's not hard to do. BTW... watch out for youtube programming directions.... they are often wrong. It's easy to do, a series of opening/closing the door and turning the key in the ignition a set number of times. That type of thing.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:35 AM
So our first first flip-out key fob disintegrated after about 4 years, now for the second one we have to put the stainless probe into the cylinder then push on the mating female component of the fob before turning and hoping that the "knuckle" in the fob doesn't yield and render this method useless . . . it's amazing that this design made it through to production; WAY too much torque on such a small cross-section. Our '08 Town and Country has a similar issue with a very skinny PLASTIC fob under torque. What's up with US automakers??? (The haunted F-150 windshield wiper issue is also disappointing but that's an electrical issue and I digress)

So for the key replacements, I found this: Ford F-150 2015-2020 – Tom's Key Company (tomskey.com)
Looks fairly legit, albeit a bit pricier than grabbing base parts off ebay or amazon and having local key cutters/programmers finish things up. They supply it all here, along with programmer rental.

If there's a more widely accepted "go-to" method for this, can somebody please point me in the right direction? These little ancillary costs are eating folks up with current state of inflation and I'd like to be confident I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks!!!

Ryan
2015 F-150 XLT (3.5 EB)
K&N Panel

Old 08-24-2022, 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Three methods... go to a competent locksmith that does auto key programming and cutting, go to a mechanic that has a scan tool that can program keys or take it to a Ford dealer.

My Autel lets me program keys. But it's also an expensive diagnostic computer and I don't think you want to go that route... lol

Quick Reply: Replacing the Fob Key