2004 - 2008 F-150

Cleaning The Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Cleaning The Throttle Body

This is really strange asking how to do this, but being that my 07 4.2 V6 has a servo motor that operates the throttle body, how do you go about cleaning the throttle body without removing it from the plenum? I do know how to clean a throttle body, but how do you operate the throttle disc to open and close manually? Thank You.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You should always remove the throttle body from the plenum to clean it, whether it's electronic or mechanical. With the electronic throttle body, do not open and close the throttle with it disconnected.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You should always remove the throttle body from the plenum to clean it, whether it's electronic or mechanical. With the electronic throttle body, do not open and close the throttle with it disconnected.
In the past I have NEVER had to remove the throttle body and everything turned out ok. And, that's after cleaning numerous throttle bodies.
I ASKED how it can be cleaned WITHOUT removing it. Anyone else out there know how it can be done?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 PM
glc
You can't! They are not the same as mechanical throttle bodies. Watch this video:

Old 12-15-2017, 09:33 PM
You should have posted the video in the first place instead of telling me you can't clean a TB in the vehicle, manual or electronic.
I have left EVERY MECHANICAL TB on the plenum when I cleaned them and NEVER had a problem. That's why I asked about the electronic TB; I wasn't sure if it could be cleaned on the plenum.
So, you didn't answer my Q? correctly in your first response, but you did add to your 30K + post count! SMH!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 PM
glc
Of course you can clean a mechanical throttle body on the plenum, but you won't get it completely clean, and washing that gunk down into the intake isn't terribly good for the engine. From our site article on cleaning throttle bodies:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ttle-body.html

Someone asked that I explain that it is a better option to clean the TB off of the manifold and not leaving it in place, as this could allow harmful solvents to attack the internals of the manifold. Plus it helps to also keep the gunk out of the engine itself!
I could absolutely care less about my post count, and if the admin wanted to take about 25k of them off I'd actually welcome it. I did not write that article, I'm just quoting it.

I also did not say that you CAN'T clean a mechanical throttle body on the engine, I said you SHOULDN'T. Do whatever you want, it's your truck, not mine..

Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't comment on the forum often....however I do look on a regular basis and find that most advice is given in a good faith and one thing that bothers me is the BAD attitude (BlueOvalFitter) of someone when members (such as GLC) spend alot of time offering good, solid proven advice. Thank You GLC for your time and service.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by MitchTX
I don't comment on the forum often....however I do look on a regular basis and find that most advice is given in a good faith and one thing that bothers me is the BAD attitude (BlueOvalFitter) of someone when members (such as GLC) spend alot of time offering good, solid proven advice. Thank You GLC for your time and service.
That's your opinion, and as you know, opinions are like..............well, you know.
If he had just posted the video in the first place everything would not be as it is now. I agree, GLC has given me good advice in the past. See my truck avatar? GLC did that for me.
One more thing that I don't agree with GLC on is, the excess TB cleaner and gunk going down into the engine. If it does, it settles on the valves and in the ports and can ONLY help dissolve sludge.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
That's your opinion, and as you know, opinions are like..............well, you know.
If he had just posted the video in the first place everything would not be as it is now. I agree, GLC has given me good advice in the past. See my truck avatar? GLC did that for me.
One more thing that I don't agree with GLC on is, the excess TB cleaner and gunk going down into the engine. If it does, it settles on the valves and in the ports and can ONLY help dissolve sludge.
Two things:
1 Nobody is obligated to give you any advice. Be thankful for what good advice you get. Sometimes it may be worth what you pay for it (nothing) and sometimes it's worth a lot of money.

2 Since nobody on this forum is getting paid to give advice it should be understandable that it may not always include photos, videos, a book of instructions, a back scratch, and a truck wash.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Two things:
1 Nobody is obligated to give you any advice. Be thankful for what good advice you get. Sometimes it may be worth what you pay for it (nothing) and sometimes it's worth a lot of money.

2 Since nobody on this forum is getting paid to give advice it should be understandable that it may not always include photos, videos, a book of instructions, a back scratch, and a truck wash.
1) That's correct. I asked, but no one was OBLIGATED to answer. My Q? could have just sat there, been read and passed over, and just stagnated. Instead, I get a "HOW TO" on cleaning TB's. I know how to clean manual TB's. I don't know the procedure to clean electronic TB's. So, by just posting the video, ONLY if GLC felt OBLIGATED, would have been easier.

2) I didn't ask for photos, videos, a book of instructions, a back scratch (but, I do have an itch in the very center), or a truck wash (and, my truck does need a wash and wax. Are you volunteering?).
I DIDN'T know if there was a certain procedure for cleaning an electronic TB, being it had a servo motor with gears. That's why I asked about an ELECTRONIC TB ONLY!

Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM
glc
I WOULD have posted the video AND the link to cleaning throttle bodies if I had bothered to look for them before my first reply.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When I watched the video when it ended there were many links to other videos showing how to clean a throttle body. Evidently it's easier to ask a question on the forum than to google.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roadie
Evidently it's easier to ask a question on the forum than to google.
That’s the understatement of the day...

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Sometimes when you ask a Q? on a forum, you have the ACTUAL member that ACTUALLY performed the work and its fresh in their mind. I think by asking here first, you have a better chance of getting a better answer. That's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.
Am I appreciative to GLC for his replies, yes. Always. If any member finds that my replies are out of context, and you see me starting a thread, just don't read it! Simple and no drama!

Quick Reply: Cleaning The Throttle Body