1997 - 2003 F-150

It was time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It was time for new tires

My Michelins were about worn out at 57k miles. Recently I drove my 02F150FX4 back from the beach (15miles) with only 20psig in the tires and that finished off the left rear which developed a leak in the sidewall. I usually don't have to deflate my tires but this time I got too close to the water and got stuck temporarily. Soo since I drive it out on the beach a lot i decided to put larger tires on it. Stock size is 265/70x17 and I went with 285/70x17 Firestone Destination A/T tires in standard load. I am pleased. They are quiet and have a nice ride and seem to fit under the truck really well. Now I need to change the tire diameter in the Superchips programming.

Last edited by Roadie; 12-15-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to run the Destination A/T's on some of our fleet trucks and loved them when they were new - we just couldn't get many miles out of them. I think they are allot like the Nittos with a softer rubber compound, rode great and quiet with good all around traction but seemed to cup out quick. Maybe if you rotate them regularly -which we didn't, they would hold up better.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input. I have bought Michelins almost exclusively for decades because I got tired of dealing with the problems that come with cheap tires. But Michelin tires in the size I wanted were load rated E tires and I like a softer ride. As far as miles that doesn't matter so much. I'm retired and I put about 3k miles each on my truck and my Dodge Magnum Hemi per year unless I drive them on vacation. Last year I put almost 6k miles on my truck in 15 days driving it out to tour Wyoming! My wife has a 2013 Infiniti EX37 that she drives to work that has about 20k miles on it.

And I will get them rotated and balanced about every 10k miles.

Last edited by Roadie; 12-16-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
Thanks for the input. I have bought Michelins almost exclusively for decades because I got tired of dealing with the problems that come with cheap tires. But Michelin tires in the size I wanted were load rated E tires and I like a softer ride. As far as miles that doesn't matter so much. I'm retired and I put about 3k miles each on my truck and my Dodge Magnum Hemi per year unless I drive them on vacation. Last year I put almost 6k miles on my truck in 15 days driving it out to tour Wyoming! My wife has a 2013 Infiniti EX37 that she drives to work that has about 20k miles on it.

And I will get them rotated and balanced about every 10k miles.
if you haven't gotten tires yet? another option
I recently put on some Falkens wildpeak atw3. they have fairly aggressive tread but are surprisingly quite. They're rated well for snow and ice and don't come with such a heavy price.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I thought you were gonna report that you traded in the truck or something

Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
I thought you were gonna report that you traded in the truck or something
I was tempted. I made an offer on a used 2016 that wasn't accepted. Then I checked with a dealer who gave big discounts and didn't charge doc fees and came close to buying a new 2017. But I came to my senses in time and just bought new tires for my old reliable (knock on wood).

Quick Reply: It was time for new tires