Rear axle swap, Is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle swap, Is it worth it

So here's my story, in October 2016 my 97 f150 got T-boned in an intersection (wasn't my fault) and he managed to nail my left rear tire destroying my rim and putting a golf ball size hole in the sidewall of my tire. Unlike him I was able to throw my spare on and drive off after getting the police report and getting insurance details. As I'm driving off, I notice that I'm no longer driving straight (wheel used to be at 12 and now is at 10 o'clock). So no surprise that the truck was totaled out and I took the money and they kept the truck. Fast forward a month and I get a call from the insurance co. saying they lost my title and that the auction company will be contacting me, a year and a month passes,November 2017, I get a letter from the auction company saying that Geico wants no part in the truck and that I have until Dec. 17, 2017 to claim the truck and pay $30 per day storage fee starting November 17, 2017 or to just ignore the letter and they'll get a title and auction the truck.

As I'm writing this, if I claim the truck tomorrow, Nov. 21st, I'll owe $150 plus what ever other fees for a truck that still ran fine when they took it, and that (aside from the big *** dent in the side of the bed) might only need a new rear end that could be obtained at my local pic a part for $120.

My question is, would it be worth getting the truck and fixing it up and trying to resell it even though it has a salvage title, or just leave it for the auction company to deal with?

Attached Thumbnails Rear axle swap, Is it worth it-img_0759.jpg   Rear axle swap, Is it worth it-img_2431.jpg   Rear axle swap, Is it worth it-img_2437.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd let them have it as long as you have been paid off. It may need a lot more than a rear axle, plus it's been sitting for a year, how do you know it hasn't been vandalized or stripped?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'd go take a look at it and take it if it looks the same as it did when you had the wreck. And if you had the title the whole time who says it will have a salvage title?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bet the frame is bent.. No deal IMO..

T bone, right in the middle of the truck... You put the spare on and the steering wheel was not straight anymore... Pretty much tells the story..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If the axle is dislocated a little that would also cause the truck to run sideways. In the past I have seen numerous old Ford trucks running down the road sideways.