1998 5.4 hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 5.4 hard to start?

Hey guys I'm hoping somebody out there can point me in the right direction because I'm totally lost. My truck has been hard to start for awhile now, as in it turns over just takes awhile to finally fire up. It seems like when it's hot outside it's worse. When it finally starts up it revs up and down several times before it finally decides to idle. I have no codes on it or anything. Also today for the second time in roughly a month, after I started driving, I turned and went to accelerate. Well when I hit the gas it seemed like it was going to die so I let of it for a few seconds and tried to accelerate again. It then ran fine after that. Anyone have this problem before or can help me out? Its got me puzzled. Thank you

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Does it start if you open the throttle a bit? Sounds like your IAC may be going bad.

I'd check fuel pressure, change the fuel filter, and scan the OBD2 for codes.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Does it start if you open the throttle a bit? Sounds like your IAC may be going bad.

I'd check fuel pressure, change the fuel filter, and scan the OBD2 for codes.
Opening my throttle seems to do nothing for better or worse. I actually changed my iac roughly a month ago in hopes that would solve it. Also changed fuel filter around the same time. With no check engine light on and me not having a scan tool would you recommend anywhere that could read it for me?

Old 11-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleD74
Opening my throttle seems to do nothing for better or worse. I actually changed my iac roughly a month ago in hopes that would solve it. Also changed fuel filter around the same time. With no check engine light on and me not having a scan tool would you recommend anywhere that could read it for me?
Most chain parts stores will scan your vehicle for codes

Old 11-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How many miles on the engine? How old are the spark plugs? Fuel pressure?