2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 F-150 with high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F-150 with high mileage

Hello all, first post on this awesome forum. I've never owned an F-150 but have always wanted one. I've spent some time looking around and, sadly, resolved that I just can't afford a newer model. However, I have found a 2012 4x4 5.0L Supercrew that, according to the pics on the website, looks great. I haven't visited the dealership yet, before I do, I wanted to ask for your informed thoughts.

The issues in my mind are this; it has 185k miles and has had three owners. It has a clean Carfax for whatever that's worth. Speaking to the dealer, they have no other info other than what's on the Carfax and do not have any records of maintenance logs/history.

My plan would be to look the truck over, drive it in traffic and on the open road and take it to a garage for an inspection. Lastly, I can get the truck for around $11k which is less than KBB or NADA. As much as I like the truck, I need to be willing to move on if it's just not a good investment. What would you folks do based on an "all clear" from the garage? Buy or pass?

Last edited by bill150; 09-20-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm moving this to the 2012 forum as I think you will get more responses there.

If the engine and transmission seem solid, my big concern would be with the 4x4 components. How well has it all been maintained?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I'm moving this to the 2012 forum as I think you will get more responses there.

If the engine and transmission seem solid, my big concern would be with the 4x4 components. How well has it all been maintained?
Thanks for moving the thread. I have no idea on maintenance, no logs are available. I've never owned a 4x4. What would be considered a big repair job on a 4x4? $2000?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have no knowledge of 4x4 costs but there are some here that may chime in. If any of the owners had it maintained at a dealership, that history should be recorded under the VIN number with Ford. Ask the dealer to check on maintenance records.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Go to a dealer with the VIN and ask for an OASIS report.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:09 PM
I got an OASIS report but there's not much on it. It shows the original owner had an extended warranty out to 100,000 miles. The report shows "No warning messages found for this VIN" and "NO ARN messages found" and "No campaign messages found". Under the Warranty Repair History it shows "No recent repair history on vehicle". The Carfax shows only the following maintenance: oil change at 45k, new battery at 147k, new water pump at 148k and new tires at 169k. Not much to go on.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Anybody? Assuming an "all clear" from an independent garage, does the 185k miles scare you away or is this a good deal at $11k?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It's a crap shoot. Being driven that many miles already probably didn't wear the engine as much as putting them on it over 10 years because it probably had much less cold starts. It's probably a good deal. But, don't buy it expecting trouble free service. If you can't afford some repairs that may or may not be needed, don't buy it. Who knows if the oil was changed when needed? It would be nice to see inside a valve cover. I used to remove the oil fill cap and shine a flash light into the hole to inspect for sludge but that may not be possible on that engine? If the oil was changed as needed there shouldn't be any sludge even with that many miles.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The mileage would scare me away. There's not much left even for a well kept truck. Figure 250,000 miles tops for a decently maintained rig 4x4. What is going to nickle and dime you to death are the accessory parts. You'll be looking at an alternator, maybe another water pump, brakes, rotors, vacuum booster,wheel bearings, possibly wheel lockouts, universals, if replaceable as some of the universals requires complete driveshaft replacement, Shocks, most of the front end, A/C compressor, just to give you a clue. You could easily throw another 6-8 grand at the truck in repairs in the near future. The truck is near the stage where you'd be saying it's worn out....and that covers the entire truck. And then there's the price. I wouldn't touch it for anything near that price. Maybe as much as $7500. but that's where I'd top out at. Just too many obviously hiway miles and the possibility of lots of repairs means it isn't worth it.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The miles on the 5.0 itself wouldn't scare me as much as the miles on the individual components. As mentioned above, you'll likely be looking at things like the water pump, brakes, and alternator, etc. Also the front end parts are likely starting to wear with that mileage, especially the bearings and 4x4 actuators. Is a 2012 5.0 F-150 a solid, reliable truck? Absolutely. But you will probably not just be able to buy it and drive it without having to begin replacing components.

Do you have to have the 4wd? I'd be much more confident in a 2wd with that mileage, and you could probably find one with fewer miles for that price.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Which model is it? Got a link to it on the website?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Went to look at the truck today, it was really rough. I'll hold out for a while longer. Thanks all.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by bill150
Went to look at the truck today, it was really rough. I'll hold out for a while longer. Thanks all.
I wouldn't worry too much with the mileage as long you are happy..... having said that if it will pass a safety etc. drives & looks okay ... also a good price (especially from a ford dealer) would be about $3000. less so start there & work up to where you are happy... A ford dealer really doesn't want this truck as a trade in but probably took it on a new trk.... Usually they would wholesale/auction it out the back door to a corner car lot for say 5-6000. Now you have numbers to work with that's the kind of money they have in it....so work from there till you are happy!! Good Luck it's your game !!