2016 lots of electrical items stopped working - please help! Is it a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 lots of electrical items stopped working - please help! Is it a fuse?

I just went out to my 2016 F150 and my air conditioner wasn't working. Upon looking further I discovered that many other electrical things weren't working.

~The electric mirrors

~Most of the buttons on the center control panel right below the sync 3 display. Although the touch screen worked just fine.

~The electric door lock buttons

~From the driver seat I can control the rear windows but the front window switches do nothing.

~I can charge my phone from the cigarette lighter just fine and the trailer brake control is working

I found my fuse boxes but have no idea where to start when so many things aren't working.

It's not that the things are broken (I don't think), but that the switches to turn them on weren't working. For example, the radio was working and I could run it from the steering wheel, but none of the normal buttons below the sync 3 screen were working.

Last edited by Examiner7; 09-13-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Use the fuse charts in the owners manual to help you.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Use the fuse charts in the owners manual to help you.
I've been studying the fuse charts in the book for the last 20 minutes and wouldn't know where to begin when so many random things seem to not be working. I wouldn't think that 4-6 random things would all quit at the same time, but it seems more likely that it would be 1 thing that runs all of these switches.

Or maybe not?

Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 PM
I just pulled every fuse in both fuse panels and they all seemed fine to me.

One odd thing changed though...

Now the passenger side window works using the window button on the passenger side door, and now my remote unlock doesn't work anymore.

How do you get rid of pickup gremlins like this?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
glc
Sounds like it's time to take it to a dealer, assuming you are still under warranty.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 PM
The dealer suggested that I take it to a quick service lane at the Ford dealership today, which I did, and they checked all of the fuses which all seemed ok. They also unplugged the battery for 15 minutes and plugged it back in to reset the system and that didn't help either.

Since then the TPMS also quit working as did my remote door locks. It's as if the electrical system is slowly shutting itself down. The battery is fine however.

I left it at the dealer and they are supposed to get to it in the next few days.

This is insanely frustrating and I'm surprised how I've talked to so many service people who seem to have no idea what's going on. I just thought that it was going to be a fairly straight-forward thing when it first happened. Apparently not though.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 PM
glc
Chasing electrical gremlins can be a real pain.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Chasing electrical gremlins can be a real pain.
That's so true!

I'll try and report back when they find out what it was in case someone else ends up with this problem.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 PM
I left my pickup at the dealer and they just told me today that it was done. It was some kind of electrical command module and they had to have one shipped in. It shipped in from California to Oregon and they got it put on today. It was all under warranty so it was nothing but an inconvenience to me.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
This sounds like it could have been the ECM, which used to be the PCM. If so, it controls virtually EVERYTHING in the truck. It's good you had it replaced. As far as I know, failures of this thing are quite rare.