Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

New old owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New old owner

Hello all, I am new to the F-150 world. I just purchased a 2004 F-150 Heritage XL. I love it and it is performing better than expected. This isn't my first Ford pickup.
The first vehicle I purchased when I was 15 was a 1965 F-100 custom cab, and as a stupid kid does, I thought I thought I wanted something newer. Down the line a few years I bought a 1979 F-100 Ranger. That didn't live long with me. I now own a 1979 Mustang 5.0 Coupe, the F-150 and my wifes Jeep. Currently I reside in Pueblo Colorado which is not my favorite of places but it is definitely a cheap area to live. I am from Denver however, much better in my opinion.

Glad to be back with a Ford truck

Last edited by Jarrod Neff; 08-19-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I see you have a 79 Mustang 5.0. I had one of those bought used and the rear brakes locked up prematurely. I pulled out my old car magazines and re-read the test reports on those and every article complained about the premature rear brake lockup. I read an article in the newspaper about that being a design problem and the NHTSA was trying to get Ford to recall them. Ford didn't but claimed that they would fix any 79 Mustang V8 or 6 that was brought in with that complaint. I checked with both Ford Dealers in the Raleigh area where I lived and both claimed to know nothing about the issue or the Ford claim of repairing the car. i persisted and one of them claimed they called "Ford Engineering" and they didn't know anything about it. Finally, I went to the dealer and went through the parts catalog and looked at every brake part in the system for a 79 and 80 model since the problem had been fixed on the 80 model. The only part that was different was the proportional valve which made sense. So, I ordered the 1980 proportional valve and installed it and that did indeed fix my problem of premature rear brake lockup. One brake line had a different size fitting so I had to cut the old fitting off and use a double flaring tool to install the proper size but otherwise it was an easy replacement. So, if your 79 5.0 is having a premature rear brake lockup issue, i suggest you change out the proportional valve.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good to have you here! When you can, post a picture of your truck.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 PM
I need to get an older mustang as a project car for my youngest daughter. Something old school with a carburetor and manual transmission. We live close by a racetrack that has a drag strip, and i want her to be a badass girl lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
welcome!

Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Welcome to the site!

I see you have a 79 Mustang 5.0. I had one of those bought used and the rear brakes locked up prematurely. I pulled out my old car magazines and re-read the test reports on those and every article complained about the premature rear brake lockup. I read an article in the newspaper about that being a design problem and the NHTSA was trying to get Ford to recall them. Ford didn't but claimed that they would fix any 79 Mustang V8 or 6 that was brought in with that complaint. I checked with both Ford Dealers in the Raleigh area where I lived and both claimed to know nothing about the issue or the Ford claim of repairing the car. i persisted and one of them claimed they called "Ford Engineering" and they didn't know anything about it. Finally, I went to the dealer and went through the parts catalog and looked at every brake part in the system for a 79 and 80 model since the problem had been fixed on the 80 model. The only part that was different was the proportional valve which made sense. So, I ordered the 1980 proportional valve and installed it and that did indeed fix my problem of premature rear brake lockup. One brake line had a different size fitting so I had to cut the old fitting off and use a double flaring tool to install the proper size but otherwise it was an easy replacement. So, if your 79 5.0 is having a premature rear brake lockup issue, i suggest you change out the proportional valve.
That is definitely good to know and very interesting. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by FTBME
I need to get an older mustang as a project car for my youngest daughter. Something old school with a carburetor and manual transmission. We live close by a racetrack that has a drag strip, and i want her to be a badass girl lol.

Welcome to the forum.
I have an 11 year old and she is definitely into cars, having the mustang is probably the main reason for it. She is one of the rare kids that actually hangs outside with me, and I am outside everyday whether working on cars, messing with yard or house or playing soccer.
My 19 year old daughter could care less, which is fine. Its just not her deal.