Hard shifting AFTER trans parts replacement

Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shifting AFTER trans parts replacement

Hi,

i really need help from some experts. I have a 2002 f150, trans 4R70W. It threw a code regarding the TCC Selonoid. I took it to a local shop. When the pan was dropped, medal came out. At first I was told that the trans needed to be replaced. After further diagnostics and a few days later, I was told the trans did not need to be replaced, only the Valve body, wiring harness and TCC Selonoid. I authorized the work to be done (below is the invoice).

When driving it away from the shop I noticed very hard jerking when shifting gears, whether accelerating or decelerating. I called the shop and they didn't seem concerned about it and basically dismissed it, saying the computer needed to relearn driving habits. The truck never had these problems before. Can anyone give me advice on this? Is the shop right? I tried doing some Internet research and I think my trans does not have adaptive learning capability - that was introduced in 2004 model. Could the replaced valve body be faulty or stuck? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What valve body was installed? Brand, etc? I think that is the problem but i'm no trans expert. Using my Superchips, I reprogrammed the transmission in my 02 and I didn't like the harder shifts at all. It didn't shift any quicker, just harder so I set it back to stock settings. And after trying raising the shift points it was obvious that slowed the truck's acceleration because the 5.4 is a low rpm engine and winding it over about 4500rpm is a waste of gas.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Did you always have hard shifts? I've heard some f150s do, some don't. I called the shop and told them that something I'm sure something isn't right, that it needs to be looked at. So I'm going to bring it back next week. Thanks again.

Search this Thread