What's the composition of F150 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the composition of F150 brake pads?

What is the composition (material) of F150 brake pads. I'm guessing they're ceramic but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure. The reason I ask is that I have never bought brake pads (or shoes with older cars) from the vehicle manufacturer but I really like the brakes on my 2013 F150 King Ranch and I don't want to get anything inferior to them. Sometimes I've been unhappy with aftermarket pads that I've bought even though I always buy high-quality pads. I'm assuming Ford probably charges way too much for the pads but, if not, I'll just buy them from Ford. If anyone knows what material the friction pads are and, even better, if they know who manufactures them, that would be great. The stock brakes on this truck really feel great and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
If you like the stock pads, buy the stock pads from an online Ford parts dealer. That way you won't be paying the dealer retail markup.

Look at tascaparts.com. Discount from retail is around 30%.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Don't know but every brake pad I've ever seen on any vehicle I've owned have been semi-metallic. I usually buy mine from Autozone.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Don't know but every brake pad I've ever seen on any vehicle I've owned have been semi-metallic. I usually buy mine from Autozone.
Thanks, but I've found that most newer vehicles generally use ceramic brakes these days - at least that's been my experience with the vehicles I've owned. I haven't checked the brakes on my F150 yet but I'll be doing that in a couple weeks as it's probably about due a brake job. I just wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure what the composition of the pads on a 2013 F150 is because the brakes on my truck are just about the best brakes I've ever had on any vehicle. I'm assuming that they're probably made by one of the few brake manufacturers and available for less on the aftermarket. I will check with Ford but I'm guessing they will charge an outrageous price.

Anyway, does anyone know what the composition is (not a guess) and who makes them? Any Ford mechanics here?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I will check with Ford but I'm guessing they will charge an outrageous price.
Like I said, online Ford parts dealers will offer a substantial discount from retail. Looks like Tasca wants $54 for fronts and $46 for rears.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The standard premium Motorcraft brake pads #11439 which fits the front of my 2014 F150 and is the factory OEM replacement part, is a semi metallic pad.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM
I think you're the first guy I've heard that likes the stock brakes on these 150's.
Do what you want of course, but you'd absolutely be in love if you had some good brakes on there.
I replaced my front/rear brakes at the lowest mileage I've ever had to do it. The rear brakes were worn the worse, that's another first for me. I think I know why, but not sure. Has something to do with the traction control.
I replaced the stockers with Powerstop Z36, with the slotted/drilled rotors. A little over $435 from Amazon. Broke them in according to the directions, and much better than the factory brakes.
No dusting either. To be fair, I never noticed any dust with the stockers either, so I'm a thinking those are ceramic as well. I keep my wheels waxed up and clean, that could be part of me not seeing dust.

Last edited by johnday; 07-23-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

On my 07 F150, I changed the front pads at 92K miles. They still had about 3.5 mm left on the pads. The rears were changed at 120K miles. Those too had about 3.5 mm left on them.