2004 - 2008 F-150

Frustrated and Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated and Stumped

We have an '05 F150 5.4 l 3v, phaser was bad on left (p) side so we replace the entire timing system: chains, tensioners, guides & phasers. The guides fell to pieces as soon as we started removing the old chain. Now it's having more issues, timing is correct. We have replaced the following: Spark plugs, VCT solenoids, O2 seniors, drive module, oil pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, exhaust manifold gaskets, cam sensor, crank sensor, cleared where VCT solenoid goes, cleaned throttle body, drilled out cat & a couple other things I forget right now and it still isn't running!!! It ran great for about 10 minutes, drove it about a mile, turned it off then back on & tried to back out of driveway again and it died as soon as I put it in gear!!! We are completely frustrated & stumped after 6 months and about $3000 later!!! Every time we change something we get a different set of codes, the last time it ran that short time it came up green, no codes!!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Angieb569
I am sorry to tell you two things.
1. your in the wrong form for the year 05.
2. you have no idea what your doing by all that was done trying to guess, spending $3000 and hope to hit the issues.
You could have paid a shop to fix it several times over for that much spent.
That surely its not the way to repair anything.
As of the moment so much has been done that its even hard for us to guess.
There may now be multiple troubles introduced that have to be recognized and addressed one at a time until all are fixed.
Its not what you wanted to hear but had to be said upfront before any progress will be made.
Good luck.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Angieb569 - Sorry to hear of your problems. I've moved your post to its own thread in the proper forum. Perhaps you'll get a fresh insight here.

- Jack

Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What codes did you get in the past?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Thank you Jack

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Angieb569 - Sorry to hear of your problems. I've moved your post to its own thread in the proper forum. Perhaps you'll get a fresh insight here.

- Jack
I guess I didn't look at the years! 😏

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Bluegrass

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Angieb569
I am sorry to tell you two things.
1. your in the wrong form for the year 05.
2. you have no idea what your doing by all that was done trying to guess, spending $3000 and hope to hit the issues.
You could have paid a shop to fix it several times over for that much spent.
That surely its not the way to repair anything.
As of the moment so much has been done that its even hard for us to guess.
There may now be multiple troubles introduced that have to be recognized and addressed one at a time until all are fixed.
Its not what you wanted to hear but had to be said upfront before any progress will be made.
Good luck.
We have gone by what codes and by the advice of a Ford dealer mechanic. That is the cost of parts & labor over a 6-7 month period. We fix what the codes show after investigating that issue & determining that part needs replaced. (I.e. The phasers were broken inside, fuel pump wasn't working at all & drive module was corroded inside.) Ford said they would just replace the engine which would be $8000+ on top of having it towed to the dealer which we do not want to do since we have gone this far. We've had several mechanics, several certified, that are baffled & a few said they won't deal with the 5.4 Triton.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Maybe do a compression test.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
From my experience, when you start chasing codes, the PCM is dying. They last about 15 years per my limited experience before they crater. If you can borrow one from another truck would be ideal. Otherwise, I'd take the original out and take it to NAPA. They're a lot cheaper than the dealer and have good units. They might even have one sitting on the shelf. Last one I bought for a 2004 cost me around 200 bucks, programmed and all.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have fuel pressure? The fuel pump driver modules fail on these trucks fairly often. My truck was a no start 2 weeks after spending $6,000 on getting an engine put in, and it was the FPDM.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Bent6

Originally Posted by Bent6
Does it have fuel pressure? The fuel pump driver modules fail on these trucks fairly often. My truck was a no start 2 weeks after spending $6,000 on getting an engine put in, and it was the FPDM.
We replace FPDM with a brand new one. Truck ran great for about 10 minutes & drove about a mile then turned truck off, restarted & put in gear then it died. Will start but dies when put in gear & sounds like a diesel at idle with no throttle response.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If it sounds like a diesel at idle, you still have a problem with the VCT system.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
If it sounds like a diesel at idle, you still have a problem with the VCT system.
Mine was pinging at idle when my VCT system got really bad. I was able to drive the truck by unplugging the VCT solenoids.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Codes

Originally Posted by Roadie
What codes did you get in the past?
I can't remember because there were so many different one & they kept changing every time we replaced something! It's like the darn thing has gremlins inside it!! That's what I'm starting to think it may be the PCM going bad. I've never had a vehicle that had me this stumped!!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Vct

Originally Posted by glc
We replaced both solenoids then had to replace one again because it was defective. We will go over the VCT system again. The 5.4 Triton from '04 to '10 is the crappiest engine Ford ever built!!! The phasers are the stupidest design ever put in an engine!!! This truck has almost turned us against Fords!! If we didn't owe around $7k on it we would of already sold it or towed to the junkyard!!!

Quick Reply: Frustrated and Stumped