2007 V8 coolant leak behind engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 V8 coolant leak behind engine

Hello to all. I'm hoping to get a few good ideas here. I'm leaking coolant quickly from my 2007. I've been researching this and I initially thought it was the heater core, so much so I bought one and was getting ready to attempt the self replacement. While researching all the info I could about doing this I'm thinking its the hoses on the outside. My firewall insulation is drenched with coolant and I believe I've tracked the source to behind the motor. That seems to be the highest point at which the insulation is wet. The only problem with this is its right in the middle of the engine and the hard line seems to run behind the motor. What is some advice on finding out where I'm leaking when I really cant see the hoses. Where the hoses go into the cab looks dry and the inside of my cab is dry which is why I'm leaning away from the heater core now, however I can still smell the coolant in the cab. I bought this truck from a buy here pay here after my divorce so I'm trying to learn as I go working on it. I've never really worked on vehicles before other than normal maint. Any help is appriciated.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurchdaddy22
Hello to all. I'm hoping to get a few good ideas here. I'm leaking coolant quickly from my 2007. I've been researching this and I initially thought it was the heater core, so much so I bought one and was getting ready to attempt the self replacement. While researching all the info I could about doing this I'm thinking its the hoses on the outside. My firewall insulation is drenched with coolant and I believe I've tracked the source to behind the motor. That seems to be the highest point at which the insulation is wet. The only problem with this is its right in the middle of the engine and the hard line seems to run behind the motor. What is some advice on finding out where I'm leaking when I really cant see the hoses. Where the hoses go into the cab looks dry and the inside of my cab is dry which is why I'm leaning away from the heater core now, however I can still smell the coolant in the cab. I bought this truck from a buy here pay here after my divorce so I'm trying to learn as I go working on it. I've never really worked on vehicles before other than normal maint. Any help is appriciated.
If you go to autozone, BP, etc., they will loan you a system pressure testor....it attaches where the radiator cap goes and allows you to pump up the psi in the system...then you can look for the specific leak with a cool engine

Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd look at the freeze plugs.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Ok, so I went to autozone and they werent much help. The first one had no clue what I was talking about so I went to another one and they had the pressure system but not the attachment to fit my cap. He did tell me to take it home and let it cool, fill it with fluid then start it and let it heat up and look for a drip. I have attached a pic of where I think its coming from but I'm not sure what this cap is called. I'm not sure how attachments work here but if anyone can help that would be great. Just wondering what this part is called so I can replace it before trying more difficult fixes.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, it looks like IMHo the best bet is to take it to either a radiator shop or local mechanic who will probably for free or a small tip, pressurize the system for you....although you can ID the leak from running the engine, it may also be a bit of a hider...meaning the system needs to be stressed befor it shows it's head........had that with my wife's car....it was sooo tiny of a leak and intermittent ....I took it to a radiator shop to have it tested....the pressurized it for 2 hours at 18 psi IIRR...didn't show it's head....it took me almost a year to find that sucker.....and yeah, it was the intake manifold.

another option is to get dye for the coolant...it will really show then............

Old 06-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks beechkid. I think that is exactly what I'm going to have to do. I've been messing with it all weekend and all I really have to show for it is 2 empty jugs of antifreeze.. I'll let you know what I find.