2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 F-150 steering issues

Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-150 steering issues

My truck is back at the dealer for more steering issues. The steering wheel wanders a bit when I am driving and it pulls bad both to the left and right, it depends on which way I turned last. The dealer has had it for a week now and they still are 'working' on the issue. It has been in three times for this problem. Does anyone have some thoughts?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Curious the mileage. What have they done during your other visits? Are you taking it in for the same reason each time?

Could be as simple as tires that are wearing incorrectly. Couldn't be much worse than replacing the Electric Power Steering unit. IMO it really shouldn't be that complicated.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM
I have 31000 on it. Tires are fine. The first dealer would drive it and say oh there's nothing wrong with it. Then they reset the steering unit it did not fix the problem. The second dealer put it on the alignment rack and said the alignment was fine. Now they are going back and forth with ford on what might be wrong. The mechanic wants to replace the steering gear Assy however the dealer claims ford is giving them issues with approving the repair. Oh and they are leaning towards the turbo being blown on my engine. I have always owned gorda and not sure if I will keep this one

Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This sounds like a candidate for the Lemon Law. I hope you're keeping track of all of the trips to the dealership and how much time it's spent there and everything that they've said and done.

The fact that it wants to pull in the same direction as your last turn tell me that the steering unit isn't returning to the center after a turn and that this is not a tire problem.

One other thing, even if your warranty runs out, as long as you took it in for this problem before your warranty expired, Ford should fix it under warranty.

A Youtube video of it pulling to one side after a turn and then pulling to the other side might encourage Ford and the dealer to move a little faster on fixing this.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Thank you for the info Joe! I let the dealer know I will be contacting a lawyer if they do not fix it. They admitted that they feel something is not right but claim they are running into issues with ford

Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Lemon laws are different for each State. I believe you are outside the parameters for most States.

If it was me, I would press them on why they are running into issues with Ford if an issue has been identified, action to correct has failed and a technician diagnosing a replacement of the E steering is the most likely candidate. Put this in writing and have signed by the Service Manager and then take the truck to a different dealer and verify. As, mentioned also document this issue has occurred while the truck is still under warranty if for some reason you end up past your 36k. I can't imagine that happening but just in case.

My guess is you'll have a new E Steering box quickly.

I think being a nice understanding customer will often times do you better than being an *ss but it might be time to start being an *ss and start making some noise and demands. might make you feel a little better as well blowing off a little steam.

Same goes with the Turbo. Either it's blown or it's not. There is no in between.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer I guess me being an *ss get me somewhere. They are replacing the steering box tomorrow and then the heavy engine mechanic will start with the engine. I just wish it was not such a pain to get things fixed!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by idrive
Lemon laws are different for each State. I believe you are outside the parameters for most States.
I'm really wondering how you can say that when the OP didn't give his location.

In addition, this is an issue that clearly affects the driveability of the vehicle AND THE SAFETY of the occupants. Further more, the OP has already had the vehicle into the dealer THREE times for that same problem AND the mechanic has already stated that in his opinion it needs a new steering unit. I do realize that the Lemon Law varies state to state and that some areas don't have one but IMO this case meets the requirements of the Lemon Law in most, if not all, states that do have one.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by idrive
Originally Posted by joe51
I'm really wondering how you can say that when the OP didn't give his location.

In addition, this is an issue that clearly affects the driveability of the vehicle AND THE SAFETY of the occupants. Further more, the OP has already had the vehicle into the dealer THREE times for that same problem AND the mechanic has already stated that in his opinion it needs a new steering unit. I do realize that the Lemon Law varies state to state and that some areas don't have one but IMO this case meets the requirements of the Lemon Law in most, if not all, states that do have one.
Exactly. All states have them and they do vary from state to state. I said nothing about his state as I don't know which one it is.

Read the law carefully from YOUR state and then review it with your case. From the limited information he has provided it would not be enough to lemon the vehicle. There is also a time frame involved which would be a big factor in his situation.

However, looks like the dealer is coming through and doing the repairs that will hopefully solve the issue. Keep us up to speed OP.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Dealer claims the steering is fixed now u will determine that after I pick it up. Now they are going to deal with the engine rattle. They said the mechanic is leaning towards the turbos needing replacement. Good fun!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 PM
New Turbo's at 30k? Good and bad... bad they're going out, good you get new Turbo's that should last much longer than the ones they're replacing.

Almost hope mine go out at 30k so I can get some (better) new ones for the long haul.

Still waiting to hear what you think about your steering fix.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Deal confirmed both turbos were blown. As for the steering they replaced the steering gear assy. They claim it has fixed the problem but I will be the judge of that once I get the truck back hopefully I will get it back tomorrow they said Monday at the latest. It has been at the dealer for two weeks now!

Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 PM
MJG
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny you bring this up. I have a 2016 with 4,500 miles on the truck and upon delivery I noticed it pulled to the right. Took it in, front wheels swapped, steering wheel adjusted, alignment was on spec but they fine tuned it.

First few days seemed ok, few weeks later, pulls to the right again with less severity.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM
I had issues with it from the day I drive it off the lot new. I took it back to the dealership I purchased the truck from numberous times they did the same thing, rotated tires and reset the computer, then it would be ok for a day. Now 31,000 miles later andvtaking it to a different dealer it is finally getting fixed.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Steering

Originally Posted by tp53150
Deal confirmed both turbos were blown. As for the steering they replaced the steering gear assy. They claim it has fixed the problem but I will be the judge of that once I get the truck back hopefully I will get it back tomorrow they said Monday at the latest. It has been at the dealer for two weeks now!

did they end up fixing your steering by replacing the E gear? I go in Monday to get mine checked on 2015 f150 platinum 35,000 miles.

Search this Thread