2004 - 2008 F-150

4x4 Noise IWE solenoid Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Noise IWE solenoid Pictures

Well after reading a few different posts I think I may have found the culprit. My '04 SCrew Lariat 4x4 with 74900 miles started making a sound like a chain coming from the underneath sounds from the transfer case or front end. I stopped the truck and engaged 4x4 and the noise stopped, then switched back to 2wd and it started again making the same noise like splines turning. So I will try to take it in this next week but I have a few questions and some pictures I took of the transfer case and driveshaft that look suspect as well, wanted some opinions.

First, should I ask for Ford stealership to perform any tests on the front to see if it's the IWE vacuum solenoid or the Inner hubs? Reading the replies on the previous posts I see some of the stealerships fixes didn't work, anyone know the real fix that is proven.

Second, see the pictures I just took of the driveshaft just next to the transfer case and u-joint. See the area where the steel is showing, should this be showing and if so should it have a smooth area/rusty area next to it? Anyone see problems with this, it doesn't look right to me. Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I had the same IWE issue a few months ago. They ended up replacing the IWE solenoid and also the 4x4 Motor Assembly (luckily, still under warranty). I haven't had a problem since.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
b/c your sound goes away when engaging 4x4 I would venture to say its Likely the IWE solenoid on the firewall. You can prove this with a vacuum gauge at ether front wheel. Vacuum should be present while in 2wd, and disappear while 4x4 is engaged

Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have the IWE Solenoid changed out for the New Improved version, same thing happened to me a few months ago taken care of under waranty!..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptBradP
Second, see the pictures I just took of the driveshaft just next to the transfer case and u-joint. See the area where the steel is showing, should this be showing and if so should it have a smooth area/rusty area next to it? Anyone see problems with this, it doesn't look right to me. Thanks
you are good to go.

the rear driveshaft has a slip-yoke. the clean (no rust, but has grease) area is the part that slides into the transmission when your rear-end hits a bump and goes upwards. the driveshaft has to go somewhere or crumple. so it moves in/out of the end of the transmission as needed.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I've had my IWE solenoid replaced 4 times. The first 2 were of the original design and the problem came back. The 3rd was in January of 07 and it was a new updated design and that fixed the problem until last month when it happened again. Took it back to the dealer and they put a 4th one in saying it was yet another redesigned one. I check my paper work and the part number is different than the fist 3 that they put it. So I'm hoping this one finally fixes this issue.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM
IWE solenoid

Can you share that part number w/us? I'm having same iss....and out of warrenty so prob doing all the work myself.... thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sldghmr
Can you share that part number w/us? I'm having same iss....and out of warrenty so prob doing all the work myself.... thanks.
I'll try to remember to look up my service orders when I get home tonight. I will be kinda busy so if I don't post back you might have to remind me again.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Well I have part #'s but looking through my documentation I am pissed. The first time they replaced the solenoid with the same part#. Second time it happed they replaced the solenoid with the same part but said Ford is working on a fix to keep water from getting into it. But in the mean time we will put a "rain cap" on it. I was like sure sounds good to me if it works. Within the next several months I call 2 times to see if it is out and they say no. One full later I find out from this site the new redesign is out. So I go into the dealer to have them put in, since for the last year I have a quart bottle zip tied over the solenoid to keep the water out. They say sure the new one is out and we'll take care of it. I think great this will finally be fix right.

now flash forward almost 1 year to the date and the grinding happens again so I take in again for the 4th time. The dealer calls and says the truck is done and they replaced the solenoid with a new improved one. I tell them that the last one they put in was supposed to be a new redesign and the service writer says it was but there is another redesign. So I go with it not thinking too much about it until now when I start looking up the part #'s
It turns out the first 3 they put in are the same part number!!!! The 3rd one was per their instructions to bring it in so they can put the new design in, instead they put the old design in knowing fully that it is defective! I should've checked the work orders when I had it done.

This is the last straw with this dealer. We have went around several times since the day I bought the truck over the bed shaking which they refused to look at for several hundred miles, saying that once I put some miles on the truck it will quit. I took awhile but I finally got the shakes fixed. I think I might have to talk to the service manger or owner next week.

Anyway sorry for the rant, here are the part numbers:

old design: 6L3Z*9H465*B
new design: 6L3Z*9E441*A

Last edited by dkstone05; 03-13-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Anyway sorry for the rant, here are the part numbers:

old design: 6L3Z*9H465*B
new design: 6L3Z*9E441*A
No problem!! Vent away... Thanks for the part number

Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the parts info.

Brad

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I had the same problem a couple months ago. I didn't know about the IWE solenoid and my dealer replace all the vaccum hoses and the problem was still there. Then they found the TSB, I guess from Ford. They replaced the solenoid. The problem went away until I used 4wd again and it started the noise again. I took it back and they said with all the work on the 4wd system some dirt or something got in the vaccum lines and clogged it up. They cleaned it out and no problems since. All under warranty thankfully!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I bought the new part, replaced the old solenoid and I still have the problem in 2 wheel drive with the grinding.

What p*sses me off about the new part, the metal bracket on the old part is replaced by an all plastic bracket....perfect part for a 4x4 huh!! I do like the "hood" on the new bracket but just an observation.

If I take off the vaccum lines off each wheel to check for water or clogs do I need to do anything special other than just re-install the lines back onto the wheel?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
ended up having one hub that needed to be replaced and one hub that I salvaged and cleaned up/worked. The stealership wanted to replace not only the hubs but the transfer case motor.

Bottom line, replace the IWE solenoid by the battery asap before it starts to not work and worsen the problem. When I was on the beach 4-wheelin, I should've fixed the solenoid before I went (thanks to this website I found out the problem...after the damage was already done. I had the noise in 2wd come on about a month ago but it went away, I let it go thinking it was just a one-time thing). If I would've put on a new solenoid, my guess is the hubs would not have gotten stuck with the vacuum on and switching back and forth to 4hi while in a sand pit did not help. Still not sure Ford's switch to this system is a good move, how in the world it's not fully sealed hub....makes me want to try and pull off the current hubs and replace with manual locking hubs.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptBradP
makes me want to try and pull off the current hubs and replace with manual locking hubs.
I've already looked into that. NOBODY makes 'em. I even talked to Borg Warner. They only make the Auto Hubs. I'm sure in 5 years or so the aftermarket will provide though

Quick Reply: 4x4 Noise IWE solenoid Pictures