Lightning

Oil in intake with breather installed??

Old 03-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil in intake with breather installed??

I removed the tube running from the intake tube to the driverside valve cover, and have a K&N breather installed and the hole in the intake tube plugged up.
I just recently took my L out of winter storage and drove it for two days. My intake tube is puddled with oil to the point that it is dripping out of my cone filter Where can the oil be coming from? The other tube runs to the top side of the intake manifold, so I am sure it can't be coming from there. Then there is a tiny little "boost like" tube running to it. What is that for? Could that be where the oil is coming from? If its not, I have no idea whats happening. I mean there can be no possible way its coming from anywhere else.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by 97Tbird4pt6L; 03-06-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:18 PM
wow that's a LOT of oil!!

Old 03-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Aww man, you know what I mean I changed it for ya.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:41 PM
no no...the fact that it is dripping from your filter means it is a lot of oil....

Old 03-06-2003, 07:40 PM
This is weird 97Tbird4pt6L, your telling me you have the tube disconnected from the Air Intake to the Valve cover, and the valve cover venting ? Then plugged up the original place the tube came from ?

What about the PCV VALVE, DID YOU TOUCH THAT ???

And now you have oil in your filter and the rubber inlet.

ok how’s this for a possibility.

The new Lightning/Harley "Oil Fix" PCV Set Up they're selling on E-bay (I installed one) is set up like this.
They give you a PCV Valve that actually works to replace the stock one.
Then they give you ANOTHER PCV (or check valve) for the DRIVERS SIDE, except this one works the opposite way and instead of allowing the crankcase to vent, it only allows pressure in. I was very confused with that "until you just posted this"

Is it possible that we've been looking at this wrong (or I have)
and in fact there is pressure being NORMALLY pushed through that tube INTO the Drivers side. Those of us that are into this PCV system also know the problem we have is due to our system being able to reverse flow UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.
This is why oil gets pushed in the back, this is why oil gets pushed in the front. This is also why this new kit NOW MAKES PERFECT SENSE. Vent it out on the Passenger side with a positive check, but not allow pressure in. So it can’t blow over to the drivers side and UP THAT TUBE WHICH IT'S NOT SUPPOSE TO DO.
By putting this new reverse PCV on, that is now fixed and makes sense.

So by you disconnecting the tube, THIS PRESSURE WE TALK ABOUT, now has nowhere to go, so it goes through the air inlet tube, probably the MAS, and the filter. God knows there's enough oil in the upper plenum (that got sucked up in the rear)

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you, but it answered a hell of a lot of questions for me

Old 03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
This is weird 97Tbird4pt6L, your telling me you have the tube disconnected from the Air Intake to the Valve cover, and the valve cover venting ? Then plugged up the original place the tube came from ?

What about the PCV VALVE, DID YOU TOUCH THAT ???

And now you have oil in your filter and the rubber inlet.

ok how’s this for a possibility.

The new Lightning/Harley "Oil Fix" PCV Set Up they're selling on E-bay (I installed one) is set up like this.
They give you a PCV Valve that actually works to replace the stock one.
Then they give you ANOTHER PCV (or check valve) for the DRIVERS SIDE, except this one works the opposite way and instead of allowing the crankcase to vent, it only allows pressure in. I was very confused with that "until you just posted this"

Is it possible that we've been looking at this wrong (or I have)
and in fact there is pressure being NORMALLY pushed through that tube INTO the Drivers side. Those of us that are into this PCV system also know the problem we have is due to our system being able to reverse flow UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.
This is why oil gets pushed in the back, this is why oil gets pushed in the front. This is also why this new kit NOW MAKES PERFECT SENSE. Vent it out on the Passenger side with a positive check, but not allow pressure in. So it can’t blow over to the drivers side and UP THAT TUBE WHICH IT'S NOT SUPPOSE TO DO.
By putting this new reverse PCV on, that is now fixed and makes sense.

So by you disconnecting the tube, THIS PRESSURE WE TALK ABOUT, now has nowhere to go, so it goes through the air inlet tube, probably the MAS, and the filter. God knows there's enough oil in the upper plenum (that got sucked up in the rear)

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you, but it answered a hell of a lot of questions for me

well our stock PCV is a two-way unit allowing oil to go back (if you blow on it you'll understand)....i didnt really follow up on the ebay pcv thread but was it basically an old mustang one-way pcv unit? if so that thing is like 6 bucks from a dealership! rob shoot me an email about this whole thing..i'm curious as to what i've been told by several valuable sources matches up (cyntaxx@yahoo.com)

Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Old 03-06-2003, 10:41 PM
hmm i'm getting my pcv valve fix soon and i'll see if its the same piece...

Old 03-06-2003, 10:54 PM
cyntaxx
my email is down ???
rob3832@hotmail.com
As soon as it works I'll write you.

We hear so many differant theroys on this you don't know what to believe. But this would explain the "New" Drivers side PCV valve I installed which works "in the opposite direction"
The tube coming form the intake can also blow both ways like the factory PCV, and it can take oil with it. By installing 2 positive 1- way PCV valves (one releasing crankcase pressure) (and one taken in the reverse flow Pressure "from that tube")
It would make sense, and also explain the oil in T-Birds Filter,
(he disconnected that line) Now there's nowhere to relief that pressure so it pushes back down through the MAF into the Filter ???

"COULD BE"

Old 03-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Rob_02Lightning - your indepth reply's are GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by 97Tbird4pt6L; 03-07-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Rob to the rescue!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:52 AM
Lightning pcv kit needed bad where do I get one

Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning

where do I get a pcv kit

Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
This thread is 16 years old. Those kits haven't been seen in years.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 AM
What can I do for this oil getting sucked in intake

Originally Posted by glc
This thread is 16 years old. Those kits haven't been seen in years.

What can I do for this oil getting sucked in intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in intake with breather installed??