Sat reception started dropping

Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat reception started dropping

Have a 2010 fx4 screw with 6 disc changer, SYNC, no nav. Sirius has always worked fine. Now it's dropping the satellite signal intermittently. It's especially bad if there's a mountain on the south side of me, but it's happening in areas where it used to work just fine.

Called Sirius and they refreshed the signal. Didn't help. Do the factory sat antennas go bad out of nowhere like this? If it's the likely problem, I can replace it, but I'm hesitant to start blindly replacing parts hoping I hit on the bad one.

Any ideas? Anybody had this problem? What fixed it? Is there a way to reset the radio before I either replace the sat antenna or take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though Sirius/XM probably won't admit it I think they suffer atmospheric interference during certain times of the year. There are areas around here with no hills or trees that I will loose signal at certain times of day during certain months out of the year. My truck does not have a factory antenna but I have replaced mine and relocated it just above the third brake light with no better reception. I'm no scientist just an everyday user for the past 15 years that understands your frustration.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Yeah I thought it might just be a Sirius problem, but my wife's 2015 Toyota 4Runner works just fine in exactly the same areas where my reception drops and in 7 years I've never had problems (again in the same areas where it's now dropping). Just for kicks I did a master reset of the SYNC system and haven't had a problem since, so maybe that did the trick. Fingers crossed.

Search this Thread