Difference between FRD04-AUX & XM5-FRD04

Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between FRD04-AUX & XM5-FRD04

I have a 2005 F-150 with the AUX button on the radio and just got a Sirius Sportster 5 Satellite radio. I was all set to buy the FRD04-AUX until I ran across the XM5-FRD04. Am I correct in thinking that both would work only the XM5 supplies power and the FRD04-AUX does not and I would still have to use the cigarette lighter?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Use an FM mod for 30 bucks and youll get the same sound quality as one of those. Buy a 5 dollar cig sock with + and - wire leads, tap into switched 12v power at your radio, and run your wires to your desired mounting location.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Nazz300
I have a 2005 F-150 with the AUX button on the radio and just got a Sirius Sportster 5 Satellite radio. I was all set to buy the FRD04-AUX until I ran across the XM5-FRD04. Am I correct in thinking that both would work only the XM5 supplies power and the FRD04-AUX does not and I would still have to use the cigarette lighter?

Thanks.
http://www.pie.net/index-6.htm Contact them directly. It appears your assessment is correct, however, their online application documentation for the XM5-FRD04 is mostly missing.

You might want to see this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sa...48-s-done.html It appears that poster has an 06.

Use an FM mod for 30 bucks and youll get the same sound quality as one of those. Buy a 5 dollar cig sock with + and - wire leads, tap into switched 12v power at your radio, and run your wires to your desired mounting location.
I think the point is to keep a clean plug-and-play installation that avoids all the extra wiring. Additionally, FM modulators do suffer from problems if you travel into an area where a local station that is operating on the same or an adjacent channel that your modulator is set to, forcing you to change the modulator's frequency while you nar ein that area. The AUX input eliminates this problem completely.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-15-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
http://www.pie.net/index-6.htm Contact them directly. It appears your assessment is correct, however, their online application documentation for the XM5-FRD04 is mostly missing.

You might want to see this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sa...48-s-done.html It appears that poster has an 06.

I think the point is to keep a clean plug-and-play installation that avoids all the extra wiring. Additionally, FM modulators do suffer from problems if you travel into an area where a local station that is operating on the same or an adjacent channel that your modulator is set to, forcing you to change the modulator's frequency while you nar ein that area. The AUX input eliminates this problem completely.
An FM mod with a hard wire power is just as clean, if not cleaner, then an aux input and a cig lighter install.

Also, the whole point of an FM mod is that they over ride all the FM channels so that the audio quality is better. That is why when you want to listen to FM radio, you have to shut your sat off in order to get good reception...the FM mod is phasing them out.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
No, they do NOT override everything. That's the point in NOT using them. If you are within several miles (5-10 depending on station power), the FM broadcast is strong enough to interfere with the RF modulator.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
No, they do NOT override everything. That's the point in NOT using them. If you are within several miles (5-10 depending on station power), the FM broadcast is strong enough to interfere with the RF modulator.
I have installed hundreds of mods, trust me, I know how they work.

If you have your Sirius on, say, channel 88.1 If you click to say, channel 103.9, the reception will be crappy. When you power down your Sirius unit, the reception improves. I can drive from here to san diego to LA to vegas and back to phoenix in a car with a FM mod and not have to change my frequency at all.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I've had 4 different XM receiver models with RF modulators from Pioneer, Sony, Jenson, AudioVox, and several different aftermarket RF modulators since I subscribed to XM in November 2002. NONE of them have been able to resist being overpowered when in the near presence of strong local stations on the same or the adjacent channel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between FRD04-AUX & XM5-FRD04