Satellite Radio Antenna Mount and cable running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio Antenna Mount and cable running?

How and where is everyone running there Satellite ant cable out of the cab and to the roof, cleanly? I have an 04 Screw (late body style), and want to do a clean install.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
You don't have to run the antenna to the roof to get good signal. If it has a clear view of the sky, you are fine.

I took a small piece of 3M double sided tape and put it in the center of the dash up front in front of the tray on top of the dash.

It makes for a very clean install and looks completely factory. Wires aren't going all over the place and I spent all of 10 min doing it instead of removing panels and mouldings to get to the back of the truck. The signal level is always at max and works just fine.

I mounted my GPS antenna right next to it up there as well. They both work perfect there and don't look out of place or anything.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
You don't have to run the antenna to the roof to get good signal. If it has a clear view of the sky, you are fine.

I took a small piece of 3M double sided tape and put it in the center of the dash up front in front of the tray on top of the dash.

It makes for a very clean install and looks completely factory. Wires aren't going all over the place and I spent all of 10 min doing it instead of removing panels and mouldings to get to the back of the truck. The signal level is always at max and works just fine.

I mounted my GPS antenna right next to it up there as well. They both work perfect there and don't look out of place or anything.

I live up in the northern part of the country, I am just concerned about the signal going thru the roof when I am driving north. I'll have to try and see how it works. I was thinking of running out thru the door wire boot between the door and body, then up the weather striping to the roof.

But I'll try your solution and see how it works, thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by CartsXJ
I live up in the northern part of the country, I am just concerned about the signal going thru the roof when I am driving north. I'll have to try and see how it works. I was thinking of running out thru the door wire boot between the door and body, then up the weather striping to the roof.

But I'll try your solution and see how it works, thanks.
I put mine on the dash as well and live up North as well. I drove all the way from Vermont to Boston this weekend and had an excellent signal the entire way. My wire is set behind the dash tray so it looks clean.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
I haven't done my 09 XLT yet but I typically run the cable out the high mounted rear brake light grommet and place the antenna on the roof a few inches in front of the light.

Its pretty much invisible from the ground, easy to do, and provides great reception. For best reception, the antenna should be mounted to sheet metal with a least a few inches surrounding it.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used double sided tape and stuck it to the plastic cowl by the wipers. You don't notice it and reception is fine.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm hesitant to suggest this cause i don't know if it would work - but, submitted for your consideration...

When I recently installed my new Kenwood HU I installed the GPS antenna on the 'U' shaped bar that's right behind the radio below that depressed pocket in the dash. The antenna head is magnetic - virtually identical to the Satellite radio antenna head - and it sits perfectly right there. Closed up the dash after the install and it works perfectly! Very strong singal, no delay in accesing satellites and everything is hidden under the dash.

I did not run a new Sirius antenna cause I already had Sat. radio with my OEM HU so the antenna was already in place, just plugged it in. BUT...

as both are only antennas looking to the sky for a satellite signal, if the GPS antenna works, does it not follow that the Sat. radio antenna would also work? It's about where you other guys have installed it but under the dash rather than above.

Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weadjust
I used double sided tape and stuck it to the plastic cowl by the wipers. You don't notice it and reception is fine.
That is where mine is.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
I'm hesitant to suggest this cause i don't know if it would work - but, submitted for your consideration...

When I recently installed my new Kenwood HU I installed the GPS antenna on the 'U' shaped bar that's right behind the radio below that depressed pocket in the dash. The antenna head is magnetic - virtually identical to the Satellite radio antenna head - and it sits perfectly right there. Closed up the dash after the install and it works perfectly! Very strong singal, no delay in accesing satellites and everything is hidden under the dash.

I did not run a new Sirius antenna cause I already had Sat. radio with my OEM HU so the antenna was already in place, just plugged it in. BUT...

as both are only antennas looking to the sky for a satellite signal, if the GPS antenna works, does it not follow that the Sat. radio antenna would also work? It's about where you other guys have installed it but under the dash rather than above.

Just a thought.
I actually tried that in an attempt to keep everything hidden and working without being able to see anything. Unfortunately it did not work.

I mounted my XM antenna to the same location you are talking about. In reasonably sized cities, it worked fine, I guess due to the duplicators and amplifiers that most cities now have. But get a few miles outside of cities and you would be lucky to get it working for 30 seconds at a time before losing the signal.

I'm not sure why GPS works so much better mounted in the same location, but my XM antenna at least, does not work at all mounted there. Maybe some do and some dont, but it certainly didn't on mine.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Satellite radio is around 1,000 MHz higher (2320-2345 MHz) in the frequency band and is easier to block than a GPS signal (1200-1500 MHz).

Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Go out the 3rd brake light. Start at the back and work your way forward. Down through the brake light opening, under the headliner. Tuck the wire into the C pillar where it meets the headliner, into the weatherstripping on the doors, across the top of the B pillar where it meets the headliner, through the front door weatherstipping, then down the a pillar. When you get to the a pillar its easier to tuck it in if you pull the weather stripping out, then tuck the wire in, then put the stripping back in. From there its a straigh shot under the dash and into your radio opening.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I just ordered a sirius unit and I was woundering where the factory antenna is located Im pretty sure its not visible but if anyone has one please post a pic or let me know where it is located thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

on the roof above passenger

Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by 1lohauler
I just ordered a sirius unit and I was woundering where the factory antenna is located Im pretty sure its not visible but if anyone has one please post a pic or let me know where it is located thanks
The stock antenna is very visible. As mentioned, its on the roof on the passenger's side. Just a few inches back from the edge of the windshield.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Ok thanks for the help and clearing that up

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Antenna Mount and cable running?