New to Sirius, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New to Sirius, have some questions.

Alright gents, Got sirius from the mother-in-law today, got it installed, hole. Was really looking foward to the no-show install, which I have about the closest thing to besides a professional. I have the antenna mounted under the wiper area, the FM extender antenna up the right side of the widshield.

Getting a lot of static right now, and have done some statin tuning but without great progress. I really want to get rid of the cig lighter power source.

Did some research on the past post in this section regarding hard wiring and getting ride of static, but was not quite satisfied. Seemed everybody that talked about hardwiring it to the stereo so that it operates with the factory system, and static all had the newer pickups. Was wondering what my options for hardwiring and static removal are for a 2002?

Thanks guys,

FX

Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend uses the cig lighter and gets some static, try moving your ant first and see if that helps .

Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM
3 ways of fixing, FM direct adapter, IP BUS cable (if you have an aftermarket head unit) or that cable that plugs into your ipod jack. Assuming you have a stock radio, go with the first, the FM direct. It cleans static 99% up and is easy to install. Gotta remove the radio to unplug the antenna etc, that's the hardest thing. I don't have any ideas for hard wiring the power, I kept the cig adapter and have had zero issues. The direct adapter is under 30 bucks and once in, set one station and it is basically good to go wherever. For others wondering the same thing, the other pieces mentioned do the same thing but in different ways, ipod wire is easiest, but used on newer trucks/cars.

If the antenna was the issue it would be "aquirring signal" constantly, even still, on the roof is the best spot. Mine's in fornt of the third brake light, super easy again.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Suspended
Link to an FM Direct adapter. Whether or not you power it with the cig. plug or needlessly pay for a hardwire kit has no bearing on static. That FM extender that come with them only make the static problem worse. The link I posted above is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Its a switch that goes inline between your truck antenna and the Sirius unit. When the unit is on it cuts out your truck antenna leaving you mostly transmission free stations for your unit to transmit through. As far as hardwiring the power source, instead of paying for a hardwire kit, just wire in an aux. lighter plug to either your truck radios hot or a switched fuse so that the unit goes on and off with the radio. Dont cut off the cigarette plug and attempt to hardwire it that way, you will fry the unit.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Before you buy, call sirius. They sent me an fm direct adapter for free and it really makes a difference, no static with the wife's unit at all. They shipped it really fast too!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome, thank you

Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by FX41
Awesome, thank you
I can't necessarily say they'll do the same thing for you (I have 3 subscriptions with them) but it's certainly worth a try! Good luck with that!

Quick Reply: New to Sirius, have some questions.