06 F150 w/stock sirius switch to external sirius

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F150 w/stock sirius switch to external sirius

I can't get a straight answer from either TSS-Radio or PIE.

I have a 2006 F150 withOUT the cd changer but WITH Sirius. I want to switch to a Sportster 5 because of all the better features, plus it being portable.

Ideally I'd like a direct wire to an aux port on the stock HU, so that I've got best possible sound. I'd like to hardwire power, too, so it's a nice clean install.

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. TSS says their stuff won't work if I have factory sirius, even if I plan to not use the factory sirius anymore.

Super confused.

To add a wrench, if there was also a solution to use an iPod and an external sirius unit, that would be great, but I mainly just want to get a Sportster 5 and have a clean, nice sounding install.

The PIE adapters - will they work in a 06 with factory sirius? If so, I can wire up power myself, I guess?

Any help appreciated!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I dont see any reason why you couldnt use the Sirius FM direct adapter? All it does is plug into your fm antenna jack on your radio,then the fm antenna would plug into that. The remaining wire would go to the dock for your Sportster, for the direct static free connection you are after. You might have to run a different Sirius antenna. I'm not sure what the stock brain looks like(if the antenna can be unplugged from it?). But with that set up you'll be using the rf signal. Your best bet for sound quality would be an aftermarket headunit and use the aux jack on that. I've used TSS multiple times with no problems, so I'd trust their word.

Last edited by savage02; 05-16-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by savage02
I dont see any reason why you couldnt use the Sirius FM direct adapter? All it does is plug into your fm antenna jack on your radio,then the fm antenna would plug into that. The remaining wire would go to the dock for your Sportster, for the direct static free connection you are after. You might have to run a different Sirius antenna. I'm not sure what the stock brain looks like(if the antenna can be unplugged from it?). But with that set up you'll be using the rf signal. Your best bet for sound quality would be an aftermarket headunit and use the aux jack on that. I've used TSS multiple times with no problems, so I'd trust their word.
Thanks for the reply. I can definitely make the antenna work. Confirmed that.

TSS just says that if my truck came stock with Sirius, then their adapter won't work. But the guy I talked to couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work. I suspect he means that I can't keep my stock Sirius tuner hooked up if I use the adapter, which is fine because I don't want to use it anyway.

Trying to avoid the direct FM connection. Rather go straight in to the head unit. Would also rather not get a new head unit.

Might just be time to order parts and see what I can rig up!

Can't believe no one else tried this though.

Later!

Big D

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
My truck is a 2002 so it didnt come with the Sirius , I swapped out my stocker for a Pioneer headunit with the compatable Pioneer Sirius brain. Also added Polk 3way speakers all around. It sounds awesome. Totally worth the money. Good luck with your project, let me know how it turns out.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolikul
Thanks for the reply. I can definitely make the antenna work. Confirmed that.

TSS just says that if my truck came stock with Sirius, then their adapter won't work. But the guy I talked to couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work. I suspect he means that I can't keep my stock Sirius tuner hooked up if I use the adapter, which is fine because I don't want to use it anyway.

Trying to avoid the direct FM connection. Rather go straight in to the head unit. Would also rather not get a new head unit.

Might just be time to order parts and see what I can rig up!

Can't believe no one else tried this though.

Later!

Big D

To be comepletely honest, I dont think youll notice any difference between an FM Direct and an AUX. 99% of the portable units we install at work uses a FM direct connect and we've had 0 come back with bad reception/sound in the 1 1/2 years ive been there. Plus then you have all your wires totally hidden except for from the dash to the radio.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
DRJ
Probably a miscommunication with you and the dudes that said it won't work if you've got factory sirius.. or he's a moron. Basically your AUX port where the PIE is going to go into is occupied by the factory sirius being plugged in. Solution, unplug it. plug PIE in. The FACTORY Sirius won't come back on though. but you'll have your PIE!

However
I haven't personally disconnected F-150's Sirius plug, but I've done it on other makes and is pretty straight forward.
Once on a honda the customer obtained a Y adapter and I was able to plug both the factory XM and an PIE. You'd just push source and it would go to the XM display and play XM, push it again and you'd have the AUX display. However the audio from the AUX would play through the XM, but the XM would turn off after the 2nd push..

FM mods are cool but I prefer to have a direct source input, and not have to tune into a station.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 w/stock sirius switch to external sirius