Spark Plug Mayhem???? Is there a class action?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Spark Plug Mayhem???? Is there a class action?

My son who is a journeyman mechanic attempted to remove the plugs from my 06 Screw. 5.4 ltr, 71,000 miles. We read about the issues of the breaking plugs and used the recommended removal of 1/4 turns, penetrating oil, wait 10 minutes, another turn, more oil, etc... We finally felt we could remove the plugs and were feeling confident until we looked in the socket and saw half a plug in 5 of the 8 plugs.

My son contacted his Snap On rep and got the kit for a mere $226.00. We worked on the extraction process and 5 hours and we were able to remove the plug ends, first the porcelain, then the sleeve. What a pain.

My son-in-law had to replace an engine in a 99 Expedition with blown plugs, now this.

I love Ford Trucks but this is a joke. I called the local dealer and asked, "If i bring my truck in for a plug change and one breaks, who pays for it?" I was told I would if they use the kit it is $100 a stuck plug and if they have to pull the heads it is $2800 to $3500. My treat!!!!!!!

Ford is in denial about this and this is a bad design. A 2 piece sleeve on a plug no tolerance for carbon and denial that it is a problem.

I would like to join any class actions for plug blow outs (for my son-in-law) or broken plugs removal.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
No class action (at least none that go past the talking phase). Warranty is the warranty. There are plenty of quality tools to remove the broken shells.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Use the Advanced Search feature, enter "class action" and join all the suits you find.

Also, you could probably saved a lot of time and some money had you checked on here for the best method of removing the plugs. The best way to get the broken ones out is with the Lisle tool and it runs about $80. most that follow the TSB, using carb cleaner get them out. Some will break maybe one.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I actually did read this post and followed the recommendation to use penetrating fluid and do quarter turns. I thought these recommendations would give us clean removal.

We bought the SnapOn tool. I wish it had been cheaper and I knew about the other tool.

I am a loyal Ford owner and this is enough to make me switch. I fear the other trucks have their own BS issues as well. I bet the Government Motor companies, GM and Dodge can do better than this. Can a Toyota pull my 5000lb travel trailer?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by dswhalen
I actually did read this post and followed the recommendation to use penetrating fluid and do quarter turns. I thought these recommendations would give us clean removal.

We bought the SnapOn tool. I wish it had been cheaper and I knew about the other tool.

I am a loyal Ford owner and this is enough to make me switch. I fear the other trucks have their own BS issues as well. I bet the Government Motor companies, GM and Dodge can do better than this. Can a Toyota pull my 5000lb travel trailer?
The Toyota could do it if the frame does not rust through or the tailgate warp, or the rear end go out.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I feel your pain. My '06 SCREW is getting plugs changed now. Dropped it off Monday morning (8/02/2010) at Christian Brothers Automotive. They said they knew of issue and had done them before. They broke 7. Used a tool to get 6 out. After 4 days still haven't removed last plug. This is unbelievable. Telling me they may need to remove the heads. What is a person to do? I love my Fords but they need to step up to plate on this one.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by the_ojibway
I feel your pain. My '06 SCREW is getting plugs changed now. Dropped it off Monday morning (8/02/2010) at Christian Brothers Automotive. They said they knew of issue and had done them before. They broke 7. Used a tool to get 6 out. After 4 days still haven't removed last plug. This is unbelievable. Telling me they may need to remove the heads. What is a person to do? I love my Fords but they need to step up to plate on this one.
Your mistake was taking it somewhere other than a dealer. They all say they know how, but it seems few really do. Most dealers seldom break one and when they do, they know how to retrive it.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
followed the recommendation to use penetrating fluid
Not any more. The current TSB calls for carb cleaner.

replace an engine in a 99 Expedition with blown plugs
Why couldn't he have used Timeserts?

Prevention - read #51 and #52.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't understand a dealers service department charging a customer more money for broken plugs. There in the busines to know how to do this work, they should be well aware of the potential issue with these plugs.
If they break one it's there own damn fault ! The cost to correct an issue that the dealers mechanic caused, should not fall upon the wallet of the customer !

Old 08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you are going to hold a dealer to that, then the dealer should quote a price to change the plugs by removing the heads. You really want to see that?

Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mlamprey
I don't understand a dealers service department charging a customer more money for broken plugs. There in the busines to know how to do this work, they should be well aware of the potential issue with these plugs.
If they break one it's there own damn fault ! The cost to correct an issue that the dealers mechanic caused, should not fall upon the wallet of the customer !
This fool is seriously misinformed.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
A Fool ? I hardly think so !!!
Misinformed ? Maybe !
So, Smart A$$, Why don't you enlighten me, with your apparent wisdom.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Misinformed ? Maybe !
No way. Use the search bar before you begin pointing fingers. Enlighten yourself.

BTW- You got it, I'm a "Smart ***". I guess we know what that makes you.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by jbrew
Misinformed ? Maybe !
Easy guys. State your thoughts and opinions without the insults.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM

Even the very best techs who follow the procedure by the book, can break a plug; - it's not their fault or the dealerships.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Mayhem???? Is there a class action?