Sway bar Link Bolt SNAP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 03:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sway bar Link Bolt SNAP!

Yesterday I removed my Driver side Wheel to do some exhaust work and I noticed the sway bar link bolt had snapped. I removed what was left of it and today I removed the other side. The condition of the bolt is poor. see pic http://www.fordtruckworld.com/showow...s=1&album=3309 My truck is a 2000 XLT SC 4x4. You may want to inspect your vehicles. If this were to let go in a curve it may cause loss of control.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 10-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the warning I'll check mine out this weekend.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes, I wonder if its got something to do with the road salt and all the other stuff that goes along with living up north.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
same thing happened to me i came home today and heard a noise and thought it was something in the front suspension so i pulled the wheel and the bolt was gone. How does that all go back together? I bought repair parts from napa bc I don't exactly want to drive it anywhere else but can't find a diagram of how its suppose to go. Need some help! thanks in advance

Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
JMC

Take the bolt and slide a washer on to it. The slide a rubber bushing on to the bolt. Next slide the bolt into the hole in the sway bar. Then slide a rubber bushing on to the bolt, then another washer. Now slide the metal sleeve/spacer onto the bolt. Then slide a washer on then another rubber bushing. Now slide the bolt through the lower A arm. Next slide another rubber bushing onto the bolt then the last washer and finally the nut. Just snug up the nut. Go do the other side the same way. Then tighten them down. You did purchase two end links, right?

JMC

Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
yes i did purchase two of them, thats how i thought it went together but i wasn't sure, the spacer that i got doesn't quite look like what is their now, does my spacer go through that oem spacer or just replace it, these are the parts i bought
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ont+Suspension

thanks so much for the fast response i need to be able to drive heh

Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by zep_1
yes i did purchase two of them, thats how i thought it went together but i wasn't sure, the spacer that i got doesn't quite look like what is their now, does my spacer go through that oem spacer or just replace it, these are the parts i bought
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ont+Suspension

thanks so much for the fast response i need to be able to drive heh
Throw all the factory Shìt out. Use only the NAPS parts. The OEM spacer looks like an hour glass and is made of nylon/plastic, right? FWIW if you ever really need to drive just go slow. I drove around for a week with only one side attached. As long as you know what is going on you will be fine.

JMC

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
super, thanks so much, ya i drove and hour home on the highway jerking it around trying to listen to the noise to find that mess and thought that was pretty stupid after doing it but I made it home

-rudy

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
its just a swaybar...unneed part if you like to go 4x4in...

edit before someone takes me seriously... I WAS KIDDING HAHA HAHA

Last edited by alsupercab; 02-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks for the info JMC.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drove forever with both them things snapped..... replaced em.... no difference....

Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
drove forever with both them things snapped..... replaced em.... no difference....
Yea, you need to get the right ones to notice a difference. The wrong ones can cause problems. Yours should be = Ford 9"

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...2028020+101998

The wrong ones will snap lol. If you get a set that's close, they can cause bump steer something furious.

The front 1/2 ton OEM sway bar itself is junk IMO. I know I could use a shock kit, like a rancho kit maybe and a 7700 front bar or other after market. Everything front end wise is tight, but I dislike that Micky mouse sway bar lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Mine popped when the previous owner torq'd the tbars for the 305s....so I cut them out with a 3" cut off wheel and some hammering and a few hits with the impact gun and I had the new moog ones in.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 AM
i got a drivers side broken link i notice a different when driving on a road that has right to left sweepers.. just the initial turn in is kinda twitchy but no lean difference. why you ask??? hell if i know.. great ford engineering i guess.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
MDK
just took my 08 into Ford (20K miles) cause every time I turned right and went over a little bump or something it sounded like metal was bouncing around underneath the front chassis, then sometimes it would do it while just idling. Took the dealer here about 8hrs/2 days to say it's a sway bar link and that they will get the new part installed tomorrow. Sounded like a pretty self explanatory thing but I'm not sure what would cause it to act up at 20K miles. We will see if it fixes it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Sway bar Link Bolt SNAP!