Brake booster HOSE recall

Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake booster HOSE recall

Been informed of a recall
BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE REPLACEMENT Recall Code: 08S05

Wonder if this is why I feel they have been spongy ( the Brakes) sometimes.

Last edited by Peladho; 09-09-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I had mine at the dealer the other day, and they said that it's just a change of the vacuum hose on the backside of the booster. The current one is just a push-in type that is held in by friction/plug style, while the new one is clamped in to give it a better, secure fit...they didn't say what type of clamp they were using though.

One thing they did mention is that the 4x2 vehicles take about two hours to change since they have to remove some parts to get to it, but the 4x4's will take all day due to the fact that they have to disconnect and remove the forward transfer case and transmission linkage to make room...which sounds like a major pain in the rear to me.

Please let us know if anyone has had the mod done and if it makes a noticeable change to braking, brake fading, spongy braking, etc. Supposedly it won't - it's only an "in case this happens..." recall that if the hose were to pop out of the booster you would lose power brake assist and the truck won't stop like it normally would (hence, the warning in the letter about how they won't be responsible for any accidents if the mod wasn't completed).

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 AM
i'm having mine done tomorrow so i'll check back in

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't see how you will notice a difference. If the old hose failed, you would have noticed an extremely hard pedal with little stopping power. The vacuum booster would not be assisting you in mashing on the pedal. They change out the hose and put one on that is not supposed to be subject to blowing off.

Mine is scheduled to be done Saturday.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Peladho
Been informed of a recall
BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE REPLACEMENT Recall Code: 08S05

Wonder if this is why I feel they have been spongy ( the Brakes) sometimes.
NOPE

if your vacuum line starts to leak (or collapses) it will reduce the vacuum level in the vacuum booster. This would reduce the amount of boost the booster creates... thereby making the brake pedal feel harder, and requiring much more effort on your part to stop the truck.

To see what the brakes feel like with reduced vacuum - before you start your truck up pump the brake pedal 5-8 times. With the engine off you will deplete the vacuum and get an idea for what it feels like.

edit... or if I would have scrolled down first... basically what BlueJay said...

Last edited by mkosu04; 08-20-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Got mine done last Saturday when I had the oil changed. Didn't take long as my engine had been run only 3 or 4 miles and was not very hot. The long wait is normally to let the engine cool as the tech has to get his arm down behind the engine in a tight place. I got the oil change and the brake line done and was out in an hour.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Well I got it done it took about 2 hours for them to call and say its ready all done.
as for me and the spongy brakes I still think it a bit spongy but i seem to think it brakes better than before. It just might be my head but im happy.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Peladho; 09-09-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added Sig
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
is it just 04-05 or is it 04-08?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by PD143
is it just 04-05 or is it 04-08?
See post number 8

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...rake-line.html

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Got mine done as well...about flipped out when they told me it would be at least a 3 hour cooldown period in addition to the maintenance time. I told them I drove it less than 15 minutes and if need be I'd do the job (pansy mechanics, lol) as it doesn't get that hot and cools off in about 20 minutes.

I didn't have another ride and didn't want to sit around for 4 hours or more, and they wouldn't give me a loaner car so I could take care of other business while I was waiting...so I test drove about 4 vehicles including the 2008 HD they had on the lot. Speaking of which, I was not impressed with it's performance at all over our N/A 5.4L, especially not for the $6,800 they charged to install the Saleen blower. But it's the non-intercooled model blower and ran at 4-5psi max, so I'll hold out for an I/C S/C when I do buy one, plus tune it and change the pulley, etc.

Anyways...I hardly notice a change in braking assist or the force required to brake (even though I had rear-ended someone on the highway back in July, when I couldn't stop it quick enough...pedal hit the floor and no ABS as I was doing 15+/-mph in heavy traffic). It will stop now and feels secure, so I assume that it won't be blowing out anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Mine just did it Im wondering if its the small line on the top

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake booster HOSE recall