Letter to Jacques Nasser - What is Job 1?

Old 10-29-2001, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Letter to Jacques Nasser - What is Job 1?

Sent USPS and Ford eMail -- October 3, 2001

To: Jacques Nasser - President and Chief Executive Officer
CC: Richard Parry-Jones, Global Product Development/Quality

Dear Mr. Nasser:

I’m sure you’ll recognize the paragraph below from Ford Motor Company’s 2000 Annual Report – I am writing this letter as evidence that your strategy of building long-term customer relationships works…if the concept is more than just words on the page!

Ford Motor Company is building relationships and growing our family to increase shareholder value. We're connecting with our customers, suppliers, dealers, society, investors and employees with better ideas and a relationship mindset. We're using our growing family of strong global brands to grow our family of customers and stay close to them throughout their ownership experience. By emphasizing ongoing relationships -- instead of separate sales transactions -- we are building lifelong loyalty.

http://www.ford.com/2000annualreport/default.html[/URL]

The opportunity to maintain an ongoing relationship is fading for me today – Unfortunately, in spite of an effort by energetic/honest sales and service teams at a dealer in Cincinnati, Ford Quality and Reliability issues may bring that relationship to an end.

While I’ve been lucky enough in my lifetime to purchase 4 new vehicles – I’m sure I will never be seen as a major consumer to any auto manufacturer! The first 3 new vehicle purchases I made were imports – Starting in 1978 I’ve had 2 new four-wheel drive vehicles and later a new wagon.

The reason for buying imports was simple: I couldn’t afford a new car with problems - Consumer ratings & experience told me that US cars were just not reliable! If I was lucky enough to get one, my car had to be problem free and be reliable well past 100,000 miles to justify making payments for 4 or 5 years. It turned out to be a good decision as my 16-year-old is currently driving my ‘91 wagon - With no major mechanical problem ever; it is running well/safely with 280K original miles!

In Oct 1999 (with 250K miles on my car and a commute to work of 50 miles one way), I began to look for my 4th new vehicle. After driving several import 4x4s, I thought about all the great reviews that American auto companies had been getting at the time – After some consumer research, it appeared that American-made vehicles (and in particular Ford) had made great advances in quality and reliability – Maybe “Quality and Customer are Job 1” were more than just words!

Following my research, it only took one test drive – The Ford truck was the best looking, most comfortable and fun-to-drive 4x4 vehicle I had ever tried! Beyond the “cool factor”, the reputation of the product and (more importantly) Ford Motor’s commitment to quality, reliability and customer satisfaction convinced me it was time to buy American! That night I bought the most expensive, top-of-the-line F150 4x4 Lariat on the lot with every available option – It’s too nice to be a truck!

I drove it home that nite (with the help of Ford Credit) and had been totally satisfied from day one – I have driven it all over the country since that nite and everywhere I go, this ride turns heads! Whether in Texas, Maine, Florida Keys or here in Ohio, people admire this truck and I’ve been proud to own it and glad to share my feelings about buying American and in particular, Ford! As you might imagine, I’ve taken very good care of this truck – Even the guys at the dealer (and they are pretty jaded when it comes to cool vehicles) remark at how nice this Lariat is!

I sent in my final payment last month (34 months later) and today I own the truck outright - I guess you might say I was a satisfied customer and we were building an ongoing relationship! Following the events of 9/11/01 and the 0% financing announcement to help invigorate the US economy, I thought I would check out a new car purchase – While not exactly a patriotic act, I did feel like buying now had broader benefits than the obvious ones for me and the dealer!

With an our ongoing relationship and good will for the USA in mind, I stopped at a dealer to check out a top-of-the-line Taurus SEL – Like the F150; this model had suffered from a questionable quality/reliability history but is now getting great reviews! I met an excellent salesman who worked very hard and found me a sedan and a wagon to consider – Both seemed to be great values and he went “beyond the call of duty” to put together a deal that was acceptable to me!

This same week (& coincidental to my plan to purchase), I noticed an unusual (but minor) “whine” from my truck that went away as soon as it warmed up – I mentioned it to my salesman and he introduced me to the Service Manager. Unlike other experiences elsewhere, the Service Mgr took care of me immediately, checked it out and we scheduled an appointment for the next business day – He thought it might be a transmission issue and commented on the truck’s great condition!

At this point I was impressed with the both the sales and service teams at this dealership! I dropped off the truck the following morning and had planned to buy the car that same afternoon. Imagine my shock when within an hour, a call came with a quote for $2500-$3000 to replace/rebuild transmission due to a failed planetary gear (?) – My obvious question: How could the transmission fail on a “pampered”, less-than 3 yr old, top-of-the line vehicle with perfect maintenance record that has never:

· Been off the road?
· Had more than luggage or bicycles loaded in the bed?
· Pulled a trailer or ever had a ball/hitch in the receiver?

The possible causes to the above questions are fairly limited – A component (gear) failed to meet specifications, an assembly error occurred, an inherent design defect exists or the owner failed to operate/maintain correctly! With 20+ years experience as a Quality professional, my credentials include ASQ Certified Quality Engineer/Auditor and Six Sigma Black Belt certifications from both GE & Compaq - I am currently the Quality Leader for a Fortune-50 organization and have significant experience with mechanical failure/root cause analysis.

The next obvious questions for me are:

· What’s the probability that a replaced/rebuilt transmission will last longer than 34 months, even with perfect maintenance and highway/pampered use?
· What’s the probability of other major mechanical quality/reliability in the future from normal use of the truck?
· What about the long-term reliability of the Taurus I am about purchase that has the same standard warranty as the F150 that has failed after 34 months?
· How will Ford Motor Company demonstrate their emphasis to Job 1 and ongoing relationships …in actions instead of words?

I am looking for a reasonable/equitable solution to my current reliability problem & concerns going forward. In fairness, any resolution to my problem should not impact the dealership team in any way - financially or otherwise!

Unfortunately without some quick action by Ford, a hard won sale will be lost, an ongoing customer relationship will fade, my confidence in American-made vehicles will slip backwards and I’ll feel compelled to share my revised impressions of Ford’s Commitment to Quality with current or potential customers and shareholders.

I look forward to discussing our options, next steps and celebrating our renewed, ongoing, mutually beneficial relationship!

Sincerely

Eric Besanko
659 McCormick Ln
Cincinnati, OH 45245
Day – 513/956-2450
Eve – 513/752-1563
Car – 513/368-5249

Old 10-29-2001, 12:26 PM
Thumbs down What is Job 1? Ongoing relationship or continued dissatisfaction

Post Script to Jacque Nasser letter of 10/3/01 - sent USPS and email October 5, 2001

I waited to send this letter hoping that a resolution could be reached through the normal channels of contacts/communication – I was advised by the dealership that no Ford Motor Co. contact names could be offered so the only escalation path is to the CEO. I will also copy you via email.

Enclosed is a copy the receipt for the replaced transmission that did not last as long as the original set of tires! There is a notation indicating that I was unable to see the defective part(s) or to in any way validate the need to replace the entire assembly. Is this Ford’s common practice?

I’m sure the car I offered to buy has been sold by now and I still not sure what defect caused me to replace this major component. Ongoing relationships are much harder to build than autos or trucks – Rather than mass production, good relationships must be built one customer at a time!

What are the next steps in maintaining this one? I don’t know but this seems like a good test of the commitment needed to building the aforementioned lifelong loyalty - Regardless of the next steps, you can count on me discussing the results/outcome in the appropriate public forum - enb

Old 10-29-2001, 01:25 PM
Thumbs down What is Job 1? - Ford replies poorly!

HERE IS THE STRING OF EMAILS FOLLOWING MY 10/3/01 LETTER TO JACQUES NASSER - READ BEFORE YOU BUY FORD!

From: "Ford Division" <crcforddiv@customersupportctr.com>
To: <EBesanko@cinci.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 5:46 PM
Subject: Ford Motor Company (KMM1242722C0KM)

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your message of 10/5/01 regarding your Ford F-150. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us provide us your feedback on our products.

We pride ourselves on becoming the world's leading consumer company for automotive products and services, and the satisfaction of our customers is one of our highest priorities. Our Engineering and Design Team are always looking into possible ways to improve our vehicles, in order to offer the best possible products to our customers.

Decisions take into account factors such as market trends, customer demand, enhanced technology, and dealer input.

Feedback such as yours is highly valued by Ford. We are pleased that you continue to enjoy our products. It helps reaffirm our belief in the importance of exceptional products and services. When customers like you send us positive stories, you help reinforce our efforts to build the finest automotive products in the industry.

Eric, Ford values you as a customer and wish you continued satisfaction with your vehicle.

Should you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Susan
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My written response (10/15/01) to the above email:

I received a call from a Ford representative today - Her name is Susan and the purpose of her call was to provide me with Ford's conclusion of this complaint. I am writing to ask that you confirm by email, the manner in which this complaint (and my list of questions/concerns) has been resolved.

Her call was not helpful in the least - I would characterize her demeanor as confrontational and adversarial. Her approach seemed to be less concerned about my overall satisfaction as a customer or my ongoing relationship with Ford and more about how quickly she could hang up the phone and close this nuisance case!

I have followed Ford's "chain of command" properly (again) and have received no indication that the manufacturer has any concern for my satisfaction as a customer - I believe that it may be time to escalate this problem & series of emails/letters to the local media ombudsman and the appropriate Consumer Reports-type periodicals/websites.

Please re-read my letter to Jacques Nasser - Is this how Ford demonstrates it's commitment to Quality and Customer Satisfaction? If so, let's call this the end of our ongoing relationship and I will purchase my next vehicle from a reliable, concerned supplier! Apparently things aren't better in the auto industry yet, America - Maybe someday! enb
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford reply Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 4:14 PM
To: Besanko, Eric
Subject: Ford Motor Company

Dear Eric,
Thank you for your message of 10/15/01 regarding your Ford F-150. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us your comments on our services. The circumstances that you have outlined in your original e-mail have been given careful consideration.

Our records indicate that on 10/15/2001 that our Representative from the Customer Relationship Center (CRC) via phone; and our Representative has provided an answer to your inquiry. Should you require further information in regards to this matter, we would appreciate you letting us know. At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as one of our most important objectives.

Sincerely,
Susan
Ford Motor Company
My written response (10/16/01) to the above email:

Your records are incorrect - Your representative has not provided
answers to my questions! Rather that helping me or showing any concern for my satisfaction, Ford seems to be evading my questions and hiding behind a communications "firewall"! Are you Customer Service representatives or lawyers? Based on this so-called customer service, I realize that buying Taurus SEL I planned would have been a very bad decision!

Do you want to sell me a new Ford this week or anytime in the future? If your boss or Jacques Nasser read this string of emails/letters, would they feel that Ford is a company that cares about long term relationships with its customers? When this series of customer/supplier exchanges is presented to the other potential customers, the media or a court, would any reasonable person believe that Ford truly cares about Quality?

I do require further information and I am letting you know - Prove to me and other customers that you do appreciate my request and my business by responding to these legitimate quality and customer satisfaction concerns in writing! What has/will Ford do to fully resolve the transmission failure that was defective from the time it left the Ford plant? enb
Ford reply Sent: Monday, October 16, 2001
To: Besanko, Eric
Subject: Ford Motor Company
Dear Eric,

Thank you for your message of 10/16/01 regarding your Ford F-150. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us your additional comments.

As previously communicated to you on 10/15/2001, we feel that every consideration has been given to this matter and was appropriately addressed in our prior response. At this time, our decision will not change. If any additional information regarding this matter should become available in the future, please let us know.

This will be our last written communication to you on this concern; however, if you would like to discuss this matter any further, please contact us directly at our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Eric, we encourage and welcome you to communicate with us again via e-mail should you have a different issue or inquiry.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as one of our most important objectives.

Sincerely,
Susan
Ford Motor Company

Message to all Ford Owners - I wish I could report better results than this but this is what we paid for when it comes to really demonstrating Ford Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Commitment to Ongoing Relationships!

Message to all potential Customers and Stockholders - Is this poor Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Commitment to Ongoing Relationships good enough for you? Are you rethinking your next purchase?

Post your story/experience with Ford's lack of Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Commitment to Ongoing Relationships here - Together we can make Ford a better company to buy from & deal with! Best regards - enb

Old 10-29-2001, 01:45 PM
What is Job 1? - How will Ford respond?

Ford - Please review the unacceptable attempts by the Customer Relationship Center (summarized in this thread) to dispose of my Quality complaint. In spite of this I continue to believe that when your company recognizes a problem, senior management can & will remedy the issue! I look forward to your follow-up and to the resolution that will re-establish our ongoing relationship!

Readers - Hold off on that purchase and stay tuned for more on this story! enb

Old 10-29-2001, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Letter to Jacques Nasser - What is Job 1?

Originally posted by Eric Besanko
Unfortunately without some quick action by Ford, a hard won sale will be lost, an ongoing customer relationship will fade, my confidence in American-made vehicles will slip backwards and I’ll feel compelled to share my revised impressions of Ford’s Commitment to Quality with current or potential customers and shareholders.
Eric,

I understand your frustration, noone likes hearing about a big repair such as a transmission that needs to be rebuild - but in all honesty, don't you think you're over doing it a little bit? Your transmission went out, with you out of warranty - why would Ford pay to fix it? You're spending hours writing Jacques Nasser letters, saying you no longer have confidence in american made vehicles, and threatening to 'share my revised impressions of Ford’s Commitment to Quality with current or potential customers and shareholders' all over a tranny that went out?

My dad has a brand new Camry that just dropped its tranny at 43,000 miles, same situation as you. Toyota was no more interested in picking up the three grand than Ford was in your case, and again quite honestly how can you blame them? We also had a '96 Chevy Silverado that dropped it's tranny around 55,000 miles aswell, again same case, Chevy was not interested in contributing. I understand your frustration about your transmission going out, I'd be mad aswell, but if I understand your situation correctly in all honestly I don't think any other auto manufacturer would have contributed a nickel torwards it either.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:24 PM
Eric,

Smell the roses buddy, FoMoCo doesn't deal with individual customers, that's what the dealers and regional reps are for, you mentioned how great your dealer is... if the dealer were really that great and valued your business, they would go after the regional rep to get FoMoCo to strike a deal, probably the best you would get is a 20% you pay, 80% they pay or a credit for trade-in.

In Ford's view, this is a dealer issue and Ford has reps in place to handle this. And to them it is obvious that your value to the dealer doesn't warrant the dealer getting actively involved.

STX/98 is right, you are out of warranty....

Old 10-29-2001, 03:45 PM
?????????

I understand your concerns for your future purchases, however, there are many factors that FORD and many other Manufactures have taken into consideration when offering their 3y/36k warranty. Even though many cars do make it to a much higher mileage without anything other than routine maintenance, yours is obviously not one of them, the auto makers will only share in the celebrations and sucess of their vehicles lasting so long, and not share in your sorrow and empty pocket of your "Just broke in Lariat" with a failed tranny. I definately see your argument with FORD, and I also see why FORD may or may not want to help you any futher. You have paid another 3+k to repair your transmission, there have been issues with FORD and other Companies where someones life has been taken because their product has FAILED!! And, they have turned to pointing fingers and not immediately meeting the needs of their CURRENT customers. I would rather keep you as a customer than have 5 potential customers on a test drive to buy a new vehicle, however, they obviously don't feel the same.
GOOD LUCK with you future purchases.

Old 10-29-2001, 04:49 PM
Question So if Ford doesn't care....What is Job 1?

Interesting comments from current F150 enthusiasts......do/did any of you work at Ford?

What do you think Ford's response to this thread will be......What do you think Job 1 at Ford is?

I'd be interested in commentary from potential Ford buyers and Ford employees regarding Job 1! enb

Old 10-29-2001, 05:13 PM
No, I do not work at FORD!

And I hate to say this..........but "JOB 1" seems to be selling and fixing cars, NOT THE PROBLEMS!

I can only call it as I have seen it, through this FORUM and of course my own personal experiences with FORD!

Old 10-29-2001, 07:33 PM
Re: So if Ford doesn't care....What is Job 1?

I think Ford's response would be something like when you produce 100,000 trucks per year you can't expect every single one to be as reliable as the overall line has shown to be. There will always be exceptions with anything mechanical. It would be (and is) like that with any auto manufacturer. If you look at the overall reliability over the whole model year, Ford is building a damn good quality truck. Period. (Look in any publicaton that compares reliability such as Consumer Reports, the usual standard they go by for comparison purposes is the number of problems reported per 100 trucks produced. Ford is significantly ahead of Chevy and Dodge in this comparison - infact there numbers are very comparable to those of the new Toyota Tundra.) For Ford to be the first american made auto manufacturer to put out a truck with the initial build quality and reliability to compete with Toyota in my opinion IS a step towards quality being Job 1.

As far as what I think Job 1 is at Ford I'd say it's the bottom line, just like every other business, and unfortunately paying for transmissions out of warranty isnt' going to help it! I think it would be naive to think any other auto manufacturer would look at it any differently.

Again, I understand how you feel. I'd be just as upset if mine went out, I'm not trying to take Ford's side, just trying to present the other point of view.

Let me ask you this, I believe you said your around 40,000 miles when your tranny went out. At what point from your point of view would it be legitimate for you to pay for the tranny if it goes out? 50,000? 75,000? 100,000?

Old 10-29-2001, 09:19 PM
Question Without new customers...What is Job 1?

Some good observations in this thread - We all work and run businesses so we can earn a profit from our investments in time and money...Yea, Capitalisim!

Ford is a great business and has a strong history of happy customers and creating huge wealth for its shareholders - They also have some darker moments in their history that they would like for potential customers to forget (don't we all!!)

I believe that the commitment Mr. Nasser talks about is real - Here's why...He and other successful business leaders know that a satisfied customer is their best advertiser! Happy customers buy again...unhappy ones don't AND tell others not to as well!

In warranty or out is a legal question...Ford knows that smart customers don't care about that mumbo-jumbo! If one of us had a blown engine in a well maintained 18 month old F150 with 36,100 highway miles, do you think Ford would make good? OK!

Ford understands this relationship - Just take care of our needs at a fair profit, lisiten to us/respond when when we complain, don't pick nits over the fine print and we'll keep buying mo' better cars and trucks. This is Job 1 at every successful business!

So when this message gets to the right person at Ford, I am confident that they will demonstrate their commitment to an ongoing relationship, replace my transmission (out of warranty!!!) at no charge and sell me a great new car at a great price!

If not, I'm just another dissatisfied customer telling everyone I can about my experience with Ford - If so, I'm a happy customer and the cheapest/best Ford salesman they will ever have!! Anyone interested in the outcome of this story? enb

Old 10-30-2001, 12:44 AM
Nassar got canned today so I wouldn't be expecting a reply. This won't be popular but I think Ford is right here. They neeed to draw the warranty line somewhere. The cost of the 36,000 mile warranty is rolled into the price and we have the option of buying more if we want. Ford could offer a shorter warranty and charge lower MSRP.

Old 10-30-2001, 05:32 AM
Lightbulb OK, William Clay Ford Jr. - What's Job 1?

Who said this post wouldn't have any affect - Poor Jacques! All those millions of $ in annual salary/bonus and he couldn't remember the basic rule of capitalisim - OK, Mr. Ford, here's Rule No 1: Find and Keep Customers.....Everything else is details!

WCF, Jr - Please read the Letter to Jacques, the email exchange with Ford CRC and F150Online members comments in this thread. This board has >15000 members and readership of 10 times greater. Shouldn't this be a story with positive conclusion? enb

Old 10-30-2001, 12:08 PM
STX/98, It was interesting to hear about your dad's Camry experience? My 91 Camry's tranny failed at 65,000 miles, and well after the warranty period had passed. I had it towed to a dealer other than the one where it had been purchased. The service manager informed me that the tranny was toast, and that it was very unusual for this tranny to fail in this manner. After giving me an estimate for $2500-$3000, he said he would contact Toyota to see what they would do. A day or two later, the service manager called back and said Toyota was picking up the entire cost of repair. In the end, I think the receipts totaled $2300, the tranny was virtually rebuilt, and its still functioning 60,000 miles later. Needless to say, I was impressed.

At the same time, a friend had his Chevy truck in the shop for tranny failure at 65,000 miles. His out of pocket cost was $2500. Five other Chevy trucks were in the shop, at the same time, getting the same transmission problem fixed. One of the reasons why I bought a Ford truck. Sorry to hear you've got problems, Eric.

Old 10-30-2001, 12:32 PM
All I can tell you is you've got an awesome dealership! I worked for Toyota for about six months in the service department (as a cashier while I was in college) and saw a few situations like you mentioned not turn out as well. However, I will admit that Toyota's service departments in my opinion do seem much more concentrated on solving the customers problems and satisfying the customer. Ford almost has this attitude that if you were looking for perfection you're some kind of 'friek.' God for bid a little pinging or rattling should bother ya.' As much as I love my truck, I've been completely unimpressed with both my expierences with the service department aswell as everyone else's stories I've heard on here. Regardless, if I was to buy a new truck tomorrow morning I'd buy the same thing I bought three years ago. Atleast in Eric's case there able to fix the problem regardless what it costs. Try buying a new truck that pings and being told there's nothing they can do. One lesson I've learned, don't waste your money on the extended warranties! Hell, they probably won't cover it if something DOES go out.

Last edited by STX/98; 10-30-2001 at 12:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Letter to Jacques Nasser - What is Job 1?