I'm waiting for the fullsize Honda Pickup .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the math. Ford builds at least 10 times the vehicles that Honda does. The best selling car in America is the Toyota Camry, not Accord.

Old 03-05-2001, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not saying the Honda Accord isn't a good car, because quite honestly it is. It's not MY type of car, but its great for what it is. But can you really name any other good Hondas? Everyone talks just about the accord. With ford you have the Explorer, F150, Ranger, Mustang, Expedition, Taurus, Windstar. I could keep going, but you get the idea. Ford makes many quality cars. Remember also these things aren't Bentleys, The quality is more than onpar for what you are paying.

I've owned foreign cars also (please dont kick me outta the forum ) And i must say the Fords i've owned i liked much better.

Old 03-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Honda does not have the fewest defects . . Toyota does.

Minor point.

I know because I just did a lot of research in deciding whether to pick the Sienna or the Odyssey minivan for my family (the Windstar was out of the question because of it's horrendous quality record and it's relatively high price).

Actually, according to Consumer Reports (just a while back, might not be current as of this year), the F150 2wd and F150 4wd were two of the four highest rated trucks in terms of low defects (Toyota, like I said, had the other two with the Tacoma 2wd and 4wd).

And Honda's had a bit of trouble early on with their new Odyssey . . it's much further down the quality scale than the rest of their cars, since it's so new and so big (for Honda). The story with the truck will likely be the same.

Not ALL Fords are good . . like I was saying about the Windstar. But the F-150 seems to be screwed together pretty well, and has been a good performer (per Consumer Reports) for Ford.
------------------
'99 XL 2x4 4.2L SC 5-Spd SC Black over Silver
Penda Liner, Chrome Tubular Step Bars, Prime Designs Bug Deflector

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilkerson (edited 03-12-2001).]

Old 09-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Mr Bill is not the only one to have problems with their F150. I had a 19977 F150 King Cab Flareside XLT that was one of the biggest pieces of junk I have ever had the priveledge to own. The truck was in the shop at times for a week, and one dealer even had the nerve to tell me that they do not know what is wrong and cannot fix it. I complained to Ford and eventusally Ford finally took back the truck.

I have always owned Hondas, and now I know that I always will.

Mr Bill did not mention that there are a hell of a lot more 8-15 year old Hondas still on the roads today, and there doe not seem to be as many Fords. QUALITY IS NOT JOB 1!!!!!

Originally posted by MrBill
SMALL NUMBER OF CARS HONDA SELLS ???? They only make THE MOST popular selling car in the USA !! But that's not the point, they make one of the most defect free vehicles in the world...and Ford is undoubtedly the best domestic vehicle producer, but they've got a ways to go.

A good friend who I had dinner with last night owns an engine and transmission rebuiding business. He's been in business for 20+ years and now employs 12 full-time re-build mechanics. His TOP 5 accounts are Chrysler, Ford and Mercury Dealers who send major engine and transmission work his way. He said if all vehicles were made like Honda's he never would have become a millionaire. AND....the Ford 3.8 is keeping half his re-buidlers employed. And what vehicle does he purchase for his three teen aged daughters ?????? You guessed, it Honda Accord, so that he doesn't spend his free time repairing the family vehicles.....

[This message has been edited by MrBill (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 09-04-2003, 03:21 PM
No, Honda has fewer defects. Check the JD Power surveys.

Originally posted by Doug Wilkerson
Honda does not have the fewest defects . . Toyota does.

Minor point.

I know because I just did a lot of research in deciding whether to pick the Sienna or the Odyssey minivan for my family (the Windstar was out of the question because of it's horrendous quality record and it's relatively high price).

Actually, according to Consumer Reports (just a while back, might not be current as of this year), the F150 2wd and F150 4wd were two of the four highest rated trucks in terms of low defects (Toyota, like I said, had the other two with the Tacoma 2wd and 4wd).

And Honda's had a bit of trouble early on with their new Odyssey . . it's much further down the quality scale than the rest of their cars, since it's so new and so big (for Honda). The story with the truck will likely be the same.

Not ALL Fords are good . . like I was saying about the Windstar. But the F-150 seems to be screwed together pretty well, and has been a good performer (per Consumer Reports) for Ford.
------------------
'99 XL 2x4 4.2L SC 5-Spd SC Black over Silver
Penda Liner, Chrome Tubular Step Bars, Prime Designs Bug Deflector

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilkerson (edited 03-12-2001).]

Old 09-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by mrhonda
No, Honda has fewer defects. Check the JD Power surveys.
A lot may have changed in the 2 1/2 years since I made my original post.

You obviously have a religious affliation with Honda. They aren't perfect. Read the reviews coming out lately regarding paint and build quality.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Almost a pissing match down here...

Just as a sidenote... my wife drives a 2002 Accord SE and it's been FLAWLESS. (34K miles)

My boss drives a 2002 Camary and it's been FLAWLESS (55K miles)

They're both good cars...

RP

Old 10-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Question Have you ever looked?

Have any of you ever looked where most Honda's are built?
The answer would be no probably because a large amount are built right here in the states!!!
Also look where the big three are built. Percentage wise about the same are built in the states.
Ford and gm build alot in mexico and canada and import just not as far. the parts though are mostly manufactured in other countries and look chrysler's are going to be a cheap Mercedes
in a few years.

The just of the story is all carmakers have good points and bad but the people out there claiming they want to keep there money in the states so they will only buy from the Big Three are fools!!!

They are being led down the road buy ignorance.

I have been working on cars for about 20 years now and over the years have owned more cars than most people will have ever owned in there lifetime and this includes Ford's,Honda's,Toyota's,Isuzu's, Mitsubishi's,GM's, Mazda's,Porsche's,and many others.

Currently have 5 driver's{a 71 Mustang Grande 45,000 orig. miles,a 86 Lincoln Mark VII with 58,000 miles,
a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 ,a Isuzu Amigo 4x4, a 97 F150 Supercab, plus my wife has her 99 Taurus SE }

I have learned from experience that some cars are more reliable like Honda cars but like most cars they have there good points and bad.

I guess my point needs to be that If you think that just because they make more of the end product it makes them better or if you think one car is better just because it is badged by a US auto maker you are not seeing the real picture.

I may own Honda's, Mitsubishi's,Isuzu's, and other types of cars but my Favorite will always be Fords {preferably Mustangs and Ford pickups}

Old 10-28-2003, 03:11 AM
I'm sorry but judgments on reliablity based on personal experience, though valuable, are not completely convincing for my part, because everybody's got a story of the honda that was a lemon, or the Ford that went 300,000 mi. without a single breakdown.

What I'd like to see are some statistics that show that one car breaks down more often than the other. Within every make of car there are lemons and there are winners. What I'd like to know is likelihood of breakdown for each make and model, or average repair costs. Anybody know any links?

I'd like info on Toyota Tundra, Tacoma; Ford F-series, Ranger; GM Silverado, Sierra; Dodge Ram.

As far as Honda's are concerned, I've owned 3 Honda accords ('88, '93, '97). They were very reliable cars for the most part. However, the materials were very cheap and they were all severely underpowered (although the '93 was not as bad). Give me the power and strength of my F-150 anyday.

My F-150 has had a few glitches, mostly electrical, but the fixes are easy and I can do them myself. The powertrain has been rock solid.

Honda will never be able to build a full-size truck the way Americans want because those people don't use full-size trucks, not in the applications that the average American truck owner uses them in. The average Japanese driver does not tow, they don't haul, they don't fill their truck up with gear and go hunting or camping in the mountains. This is an American way of life and Japanese car makers do not understand it. Therefore they will not be able to make a truck to suit Amercian needs and tastes. Look at the Nissan Titan. It looks like a cartoon truck. Granted that's just the exterior but that rightaway shows me that they don't understand American truck owner's tastes. Sitting next to an F-150, Ram, or even Silverado <gag>, the Titan and Tundra look like they do not belong. Look at the Tundra, the thing is tiny. I would not even consider it to be a full-size truck. It is well built, a decent truck, but whoever designed it does not get it fully yet, because they probably never have used or needed a full size truck. They're just imitating what Americans do out of personal experience. Have you ever heard Japanese hip hop or rock n roll? The stuff is terrible. It doesn't come out of their soul, it's just a bad imitation. Same with Japanese trucks. You can't make what you don't really use.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the reason my girlfriend is so pro toyota (her second 4 runner) is that she has had absolutely no problems with it. her current 4runner(98) has 72000 on her, and no special things done to it. just oil changes, and air filters and greasings. sure she put new tires on it, but other than that. nothing. she even has the original brakes on it. granted, she doesnt tow very much at all, but still. but, the flip side3... her truck cost 34grand new...way more than a ford explorer was then. even a eddie bauer was less money. she is a non car person though. sure, she drives them well, and can drive her 03 mini cooper S 6 speed damn well. but she has no knowledge of how to fix anything that breaks, besides being able to change to the spare tire, is practically nothing. me on the other hand, i can fix damn near anything. but i would rather not fix a vehicle if i dont have to. although the very very minor things that have gone wrong on my fords have been really easily and cheaply fixed. my 2 pennies

Old 11-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Get the Facts: Since 1981 the best selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F150

Check this URL:

http://www.drivingwithdawn.com/archi..._a_truck.shtml

Old 12-10-2003, 10:28 PM
I just sold my custom chevy supercharged z71 running around 400 ponies with 37" tires. It's a 2001, I have never had one problem with this truck. (try doing that with a toy or honda).

I'm going back to one of the newer fords. I have owned a Epedition and never had one problem. I have had great experiences with American vehicles and will buy again.

Just wanted to throw in a few good thoughts. When your Honda meets my Chevy grab your ankles and kiss your *** good by!

Last edited by reddrig; 12-11-2003 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm waiting for the fullsize Honda Pickup .....