Fords Blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the automotive version of "counting-chad"?

If there were monumental differences in product quality between OEM or vehicles, there'd be a clear winner.

Come to think of it, there IS a clear winner -- seems to be the F-150 for several years running.

There's no such thing as perfection in this 'good-enough' mentality that drives corporate profit incentives as universally as it does our choices of McDonalds over Wendy's.

You play your chances -- rely on negotiation skills -- and stay light on your feet (or rational with your selection).

Sorry you had troubles -- and I hope your frustration is duly noted by the Smucks.

Merry Christmas from the 'Zoo

------------------
Y2K™ 7700 4x4
Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 12-23-2000, 11:03 PM
Banned
I got to admit. The service does suck but the quality isnt all that bad. I like my truck. If you have the right touch they will last forever.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
17 inch Wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster,
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs

Old 12-24-2000, 12:49 AM
Lightbulb

Just remember, a good bit of the time if the dealer refers you to some one to "help you" solve the differences between you and them (the dealer or even Ford) be leary, there is a reason they want you to see them. Do a little research you will be amazed of some of the facts you will find.

I think it has been brought up before on other posts on this board, but Ford hurridly jumped into many new things with the new design of the F-150 which came out in 97./ New engines, new bodies, new suspensions, and they are improving and trying to redisign to agree with the masses. But porblems will occur, hopefully not many. I have been lucky, I guess, I have a new 2000 engine in a 99. I had to have both door lock actuators replaced, because one crapped out and they replaced both in case in damage had occured to the second. The only problem unresolved right now is once in a while the tranny shifts hard from 1 -2 or is it 2-3 (can't remember). Other than that it hasn't been that bad of a truck. Better mileage would be great, but I knew the mileage when I bought.
Salesman, he was good, I got the priced knocked down over 4 grand. Maybe people have done better, but being my first new car purchase I didn't think it was bad, it was cheaper than a Ranger XLT of the same caliber. And as, I think, FordMan says, thats my .02 cents.

Cope

------------------
99XLT SC 4x4Offroad Pkg. Dark Toreador Red. Lund Bed Cover, Westin Nerf Bars More to come....

Old 12-27-2000, 10:48 AM
Exclamation

Dunbarton was right!!!! The dealer I bought from was fraudulent, but Ford did fix the problem, at least most of it. It would not have been fixed without the leverage I had, refusing to take delivery and pay the loan to Ford Credit.

Ford Credit intervened after I notified them that I hadn't taken delivery and their first payment would not be received. All other inquiries to Ford fell on deaf ears. Ford Credit agreed to compensate the dealer (approx $600) to supply and install remote keyless entry, which is advertised as standard equipment on XLT SCrews (not the keypad, just the fabs). It seems a number of features on early production models were not installed at time of manufacture, such as remote keyless entry, rear seat head rests, 220 vs 231 HP-4.6 liter, etc. These features are indicated in dealer manuals and handouts as standard equipment, yet dealers may have vehicles in inventory without them. Beware of the dealer who lets you test drive one and tells you they have identical ones in the color of your choice....the old switch-e-roo.

Installing the keyless feature is much more complicated than programming a remote if the vehicle was not wired and equipped to enable it. An after market security system, such as Lo-Jack System 4, has the necessary electronics and hardware to enable remote keyless.

It was admitted to me that "early SCrew production models" were sold to dealers at reduced prices. In addition, Ford told me that dealers were formally notified of the changes and that I should have been notified that there were differences from the models whose specification now appear on the Ford web-site and in dealer marketing materials.

Finally, after several weeks, I took delivery following several discussions with a great individual at Ford Credit who intervened...after all this was the vehicle I wanted. The dealer would never have resolved this issue on ther own, I had caught them in too many lies and they are intentionally deceiving customers. I will never again buy at the low cost dealer!!!!!

Stay away from the 'SLIME-OF-ALL-FORD- DEALERS' - Quirk Ford in Quincy Massachusetts.

P.S. - Took the truck on its maiden voyage after a few hundred mile "break in", round-trip Boston-Philadelphia. It runs great!!!

[This message has been edited by MrBill (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 01-02-2001, 11:36 PM
hey FordNoMore
i wouldnt really know cus im a guy but i heard that Midol does alot of good

i have had my problems to on my truck but it is nothing to go out and act all childish about and throw a fit

------------------
1999 F-150 Supercab Styleside Lariat 5.4L V8 3.55LS gears
Tan Leather Seats Front/Back
Captain Chairs in front
Tan Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Remote Entry
Signal Mirrors

Navigator Front End
Factory 2tone Red on top of Gold
Metallic Flake Ghost Flames in the gold
18inch Wheels
Lowered 2/3
Rhino Bedliner
Euro "Atezza" Tail Lights

Stock CD player
Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a Amplifier
2 RF Punch DXL 8inch Subwoofers
2 Kenwood Midranges (in the front doors)

K&N "Drop In" Filter
Flowmasters

Within the next Month: Superchip, 3/4 drop (already got the money just need to order them)

By my 17th birthday (March 23rd): White Face Guages, HOPEFULLY A SUPERCHARGER PACKAGE

Some Quick Photos
www.geocities.com/thepyromaniackid

Things That Have Gone Wrong So Far:
Burnt Anti-Freeze Smell
The Anti-Freeze seems to leaking but the fluid level hasn't gone done any
This has Caused a Coil to go out
The passenger side Door-Lock went out
The driver side Door-Lock went out
Muth Signal Mirrors Reflective Backing Cracked All To Hell

Fixed under warranty: Coil, Passenger Side Door-Lock
Will be Fixed under warranty: Driver Side Door-Lock, Muth Signal Mirrors
(Wonder what the Ford House will say when I show up with a Lincoln Truck for warranty work)

Can't FInd The Anti-Freeze Leak (?)
Tried putting in AlumniSeal and hasn't got hot enough to see if it still has the
Burnt Anit-Freeze Smell

Old 01-30-2001, 07:29 PM
WOW I guess one truck makes them all(cars too) junk to her Her talk.(Cry) Oh well to each their own

------------------
2001 SuperCrew 4.6(GenI) Auto Black with Lund Stainless Steel Grille and Bumper insert, Black Max Tonneau cover,Tinted Glass,Side and Rear Window Visors,Westin Chrome Nerf Bars,
2000 Reg.Cab FlareSide Sport XLT 4.2L V6 5-Speed, Oxford White,Tinted Glass,Factory Cab Steps

Old 02-04-2001, 10:13 PM
Angry

Well if Ford would LEARN how to paint, they would not BLOW! 2001 going back to Ford paint shop again!!!!!! if they keep repainting sections of my 2001 I'll have a new paint job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can see gray primer where they missed a spot! My Chevys were always PERFECT in the past, did a make a mistake switching from Chevy to a Non-painted Ford!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2001, 04:43 AM
Goochy,
Why do you continue to take it back to the same dealer? I would take it to another dealer where they may have someone who can actually paint or get a hold of the area rep and show him what a **** poor job they are doing. Of course, if you have shown them an attitude like you have in this thread they may be doing it on purpose. I hope you get it fixed the right way!

Old 02-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Dealer is fixing the problems fine. the problem is every time I wash the truck I see more flaws. Most are small, but STILL there. I have never owned a Ford before, so I guess my expectations where to high, but we are talking about $30,000 here! It should have been perfect. Always had perfect paint on Z 71s, guess I'm to picky!

Old 02-07-2001, 04:05 PM
Smile

That can go back and forth Goochy, it's the same reason I don't like General Motors. The last few Chevy trucks I've owned had flaws all over them (bought them new, one was even on the showroom floor so I 'assumed' it was perfect). My Dad's '92 Ford was bought new though, and it had quite an orange peel looking black paint job on it.

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.,Open 3:55
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector/Ventvisors/Extra Horns
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich AT's on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust (Straight pipes with big chrome tips)
  • Black Polar Bear Grille Guard
  • Cranked Torsion Bars for 1" Lift

Old 02-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Exclamation

My next truck(years from now) I will ONLY pick it up on a SUNNY day and crawl all over it LOOKING! I will also ask to see destination report to make sure of no damage in shipping. Live and learn I guess, but we are talking about $30,000. Must have got LUCKY on the Chevy Z 71s. Hope my 2001 Supercrew does good, because I LOVE it now!( 3000 miles so far)

Old 02-07-2001, 09:19 PM
Red face

Goochy:

You have every right to expect zero defects in the manufacture of a product...let alone one that must be safe enough to protect you and others. It doesn't matter if you're buying a $200 VCR, a $30,000 vehicle or a $20 million jet...it should be built to specification ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME.

After the US kicked German A$$ and blew up Japan in the 1940's, we taught them about Total Quality manufacturing in the 1950's. Since then we haven't quite got it right in auto manufacturing...although we're awesome in many other areas, like high tech, computers, software development, etc. I just don't understand why workers in our plants don't take more pride in their work. I've been in dozens of US plants covering many industries, and it's about the same in all. New plants run well for about 5 to 7 years and then worker complacency and horse***** attitude sets in.....and then we end up with stuff like you bought...and it $uck$. There's my two cents!!!

[This message has been edited by MrBill (edited 02-07-2001).]

Old 02-07-2001, 09:47 PM
Thumbs up

I'm new but have really enjoyed the posts. Just thought I would add my 2 cents woth on Fords. I've bought new;

1970 Mach I - 351C 4V
1973 Pinto Wagon
1976 Couger
1979 LTD
1985 T'Bird
1988 Ranger S
1989 T'Bird
1991 Ranger XLT
1997 T'Bird LX
2000 F150 Lariat

I put near 100k on most before they were traded. The '79 LTD had 180k with only major repair being a transmission rebuild at 40k. They tried to hang C4's meant for six's behind the 302.
I rebought the Mustang (110K by then) 4 years after the trade and drove it a nother 40k before the fuel pump filled the crankcase with gas. Of all of these, my new Lariat is the most fun to drive since the Mustang. It's well built, well finished and runs like a scalded dog, stock off the floor.
You can get a lemon with any make but I really feel your best bet is still Ford.

------------------
2000 Lariat SC
Chestnut
5.4L AOD
Stoch thru 36k

Old 02-07-2001, 10:00 PM
Angry

I've got to say that some FORD dealers really blow! My 97 F250 LD 5.4L is in the shop right now getting a $2200 sparkplug change. The dealer changed my plugs and the mechanic crossthreaded the most difficult one to reach. Instead of doing it right he tried to do it quick. I still paid the $200+ labor bill though. Now the plug blew out of the engine and the head is stripped out and has to be replaced. The service manager at the dealer who's responsible says "we acccept no responsibility." Now I have to take them to court. You gotta respect the way they stand behind their work. Ya right!

------------------
97 F250 LD XLT Supercab, 5.4 V8, 4x4, auto, towing package, 12,000lb hitch, Load Range E tires, Air Lift, 4 wheel Disk ABS, 3.73 limited slip, K&N FIPK, superchip, payload #2, CD, Navigation System (my very lovely & talented wife), anti-intruder system (our two dogs), real horsepower (Red & Topper, our horses)

Old 02-09-2001, 10:51 AM
I have to chime in here.

I bought my truck (first Ford ever) in Sept 2000. Have had ZERO problems so far. Except for a small paint defect I found on the flareside bed which Ford is fixing under factory defect warranty. No biggie, as long as it's recorded as a Ford repair, and not a collision repair. I have owned 4 Pontiacs, 2 Chevys, and a Honda. I have also had a Kawasaki and Honda motorcycle. This is my first Ford. I worked at a big Ford dealership for 3 years and never bought one. I love it. I do have to admit though, my 99 Accord was THE best vehicle I have ever owned. Honda, just can't beat 'em. But, when it comes to full size trucks, there was only one choice for me...FORD. They have the most configurations available, and the most truck for your money. I priced the same Z71 top-of-the-line, and it was $34,000 apx, and the Ram Laramie was even more. I think that the Ford name and quality that goes into their trucks is far more superior to that of the other "2" brand names.

BTW, I hate that Tundra...pulled up next to one the other day, it looked like a lower, shallower, pu$$ier version of my beast. What a pile of crap. And have you seen that dinky little rear end under that thing? Looks like it would snap in two if you hit a speed bump too fast.

Anyway, can't wait for the '03s to come out. Hope they improve instead of what the other "2" are doing.

------------------
--Lariat4WD--

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat
5.4L;auto;3.55LS;Black/Silver;ORP;remote keyless;floor-shift 4wd;Class III;AM/FM/SingleCD
Mods so far:
Lund X-Terminator bug shield; Vent Shade Vent Visors; Westin Black step bars; Pendaliner bedliner; GSP black Safari Grille Guard; GTS TailBlazerII Slotted taillight covers; Clear corner lenses; under hitch backup lights; 2 KC Hilites Daylighter 6" 150W black round; Cranked torsion bars; Removed lower striping; Replaced factory ORP decals w/ silver; 2 Polk Audio EX10 10" subs under rear seat; Sony XM754HX amp; Viper 300ESP alarm
Pending
Replacing factory gold/maroon Lariat decals & upper stripes with silver & black
Wish list:
More lights; Flowmaster 40 Series single to dual exhaust w/ 18" SS tips out back; Optima red top battery; Remote starter & Prox. sensor; In-dash TV/CD/DVD/AM/FM head unit; Build house w/ huge garage with a drain and a lift.

Please Visit My Web Site (Updated Daily) and Sign My Guest Book

Quick Reply: Fords Blow