contract talks in Canada

Old 09-17-1999, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down contract talks in Canada

Today, Ford of Canada proposed a contract to CAW (Canadian Auto Workers).
It (offered) 1% per year wage increases, no pension improvement, and 15% co-pay by the worker for benefits!
This comes 1 day after Chrysler and the UAW tentatively agreed to 4% per year wage increases and signing bonuses.
Personally, I am insulted as I am a CAW member and a Ford employee.
Yes Quality Is Job 1. at Ford. Unfortunately the employees are viewed as 2nd rate.

Old 09-19-1999, 01:50 AM
I hope Ford pays parity with the others - so I can get my new truck. However, four per cent sounds high. What's inflation? Two per cent? High inflation hurts us all, patdon. I've had a frozen salary for eight years and, as a Canuck, I'm taxed to the teeth.

If the price of trucks goes up even more to pay for higher-than-inflation wage hikes, then fewer people will buy trucks (Economics 101) and fewer people will be needed to build them (maybe meaning you, patdon).

I wonder why Chrysler gave away the farm? With few exceptions, except for the German Merc's in the family, they're still putting out crap.

------------------
1998 XL SC short-box 4.2 5-speed 3.55LS, Pacific Green, A/C, factory box liner, factory dark tinted rear glass (like the XLT), cassette, carpet, Canadian XLS package (split bench, chrome wheels, side mouldings, box light, tailgate lock), sill guards, Windstar (driver's) wiper blade (the one with the air scoop). Oh ya: snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

New 2000 F-150 on order Sept. 2 - sure hope they don't go on strike up here in Canada! Same mechanically as the current one except black, XLT, CD and side steps. Great trucks!

Old 09-19-1999, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry for the inaccurate info. My first post should read 3% per year for four years.
I must have got ahead of myself in my calculation of what the CAW wuold need to get in a 3 year contract, since we will not sign a4 year contract.

Shifter
I understand your concern , but do you realize that labour accounts for only 17% of the total cost of a vehicle. I would like to point out that the former CEO Mr. Trotman, in his final year made 14 million, and thats before stock options.
We are all taxed to death in this country, and I know most people say auto workers make way too much. I find it amusing, that my wages are publicised in newspapers around the world. But the same people who complain about my wages haven't got a clue of what I do.
As the saying goes " they can talk the talk' but can they walk the walk"

------------------
Black 99,flareside,SC 4.6, 3.08 chrome Westin step bars, Extang tonneau, Magnum Deflector, SUPERCHIPPED,KN air filter

Old 09-19-1999, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

To be truthful the average mans salary hasn't gone up in years.
But hte cost of living sure has that is why almost all wives have to work these days.
Mom never worked in the 70s.

Old 09-21-1999, 04:18 AM
Angry

patdon if you think your getting the shaft you need try working as a salaried employee at FORD. At least the UAW hourly people still get a cost of living allowance. every time the unions negotiate and give you more they take it from us (salried employees).As the saying goes rob peter to pay paul. With all the cut backs going on in the world of big companies lately, I count myself as lucky to still have a job. If you are ever in Arizona stop by the proving grounds and say hey.

Old 09-21-1999, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4D THNDR: Just wanted to say Hello from one I.B.E.W. member to another.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, K&N Air Filter, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 09-22-1999, 12:28 AM
Exclamation

I'm with you Patdon. Most people don't have a clue as to how heavy industry can work their people. When our union,the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) was formed in 1891, 50% of ALL lineman died on the job. You think the bean counters give a *****? I doubt it. The unions fight for safer work environment, higher wages, and shorter work hours(at the early part of the century working 7 days a week was not uncommon, so much for family) trickles into the rest of the workforce, too. So thank the unions for your 40hr work week and your higher standard of living. Big companies don't give it up because of conscience. Most could care little for the working man. If you think the union people make a lot, just how much do you think THE MAN is making? Patdon's example is of Trotman is a good one.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 09-21-1999).]

Old 09-24-1999, 04:25 PM
Want to see bad working conditions, look at a right to work state such as Nevada, husband and wife both need to work 2 jobs.

Choochoo, give me a e-mail sometime, I work for MDE at Las Vegas.
NvBob@aol.com

Bob K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: contract talks in Canada