Pre-1997 Models

Want to run true duals on 96 F-150.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to run true duals on 96 F-150.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board, I just found it today. I have a question, I just bought my F-150 when I turned 15 and have been "messin around" with it, built a 4 inch lift for it, ect. But I'm baffled when It comes to how I am going to dual the exaughst. I'm looking at a true dual kit thats in JCWhitney i'll probably buy, but it isn't street legal (I'm putting the cats on my self.) I've heard talk about the O2 sensors causing the engine not to run right, what do I need to do to fix that? I'm not real educated when it comes to exaughst, so ya'll probably have to dumb it down for me. Thanks,

Corey

Old 09-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the site!
Leave more info about your truck....engine and year would help the most.

Old 09-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the board. The O2 sensor should be placed before the cats on our trucks, close to the stock location, so when you install the exhaust, get a muffler shop to put the O2 sensor in a pipe that will be near the stock location. I have drawn up an exhaust diagram, if I we you, I would use all Magnaflow products, you can get them cheap from Mike Troyer in the Computer Chips section. He posts as Superchips_Distributor, and he has his phone number in his sig. Tell him your a member of F-150online, and he will cut you a good deal. The diagram I have is pretty straight forward. The pipe actually comes across the truck at the very back of the transmission, right where it connects to the drive shaft. this is the only place that has enough clearance. Good luck. Just ask if you need anymore help.

The exhaust exits before the rear tire. I would use 2 1/4" piping, so that you do not loose to much backpressure. I would also top it off with 2 3 1/2" chrome or stainless steal tips.

Old 09-22-2002, 11:35 PM
On a 96 you've also got an O2 sensor located between the 2 cats. I'm not sure there's any practical way to put 2 of them in tandem for true duals. You've got the OBD-II diagnostics which are designed to detect exactly this sort of "tampering." You are likely to get buried in error codes and maybe even put into limp-home mode if you screw around with the sensors. Even if you could pull it off you're looking at a lot of money in additional cats and sensors.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:41 AM
I forgot they converted the computer. I know some people with new trucks, replace their cats with 2 hi flow ones, and they get away with it. Call Mike Troyer, and he can probably give you all the info you need.

Old 09-26-2002, 07:17 PM
more info

My truck is a 96 F-150 with the 5.0 V-8. About the O2 sensors, any way to get a chip or something that will override them? I am not sure how they work or even what they do, but seems to me theres always a way to get around things. Is it possible just to bridge this sensor or maybe even knock out that part of the computer with a chip?

Corey

Old 09-26-2002, 11:55 PM
The upstream O2 sensors are the primary control device for the fuel injection system. It will not work without them. The downstream sensor possibly can be disabled, I've seen kits to do it on OBDII GM products.

The O2 sensors aren't the problem, it's the PCM with its built-in diagnostics that look for evidence of tampering.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:13 AM
Sensor on Cats.

is there anyway to kill the sensor on the cats? Because I'm thinking it would take a while to get everything arranged just right if I ran true duals, maybe I can just cut the cat off right in front of it and run duals from there... Would that still be messing with the O2 sensors?

Corey

Old 09-30-2002, 12:24 PM

Quick Reply: Want to run true duals on 96 F-150.