Pre-1997 Models

smog/air pump elimination on 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/2/02 Mustang eliminator pulley fits to block. Pulley is smaller. I fixed my AIR pipe by replacing it. I know this isn't as exciting as a hi-pro mod but it was the easiest (and cheapest) way for me to eliminate an exhaust leak.
AIR pump still there.
New AIR tube-$40.
No mods done reguarding AIR system.
Replacement AIR pumps are well under 100.
Consider yourself updated.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:35 PM
on ton trucks without a/c have an idler pulley that is the same size as the air pump pulley and they come with a decent bracket that is easy to mount with a little work
why not cut the side open on the cats and gut the insides out then weld the side closed that way they are there visibly but not operational or subject to clogging

Old 03-06-2002, 06:17 PM
This summer when I can lay on the ground w/out freezing I'll use the mustang eliminator bracket and "pull" the pulley off the air pump and use that on the elim bracket....

or...

Just remove the air pump and find a belt that will fit without any pulley there at all.
In May(my b-day) I'm getting Heddman headers and y-pipe, thats when the real work and mods will start.

I might consider looking at those pulleys too.

Old 03-09-2002, 01:01 PM
smog pump

I am also eliminating my smog pump.It useless and mine makes
noise as is very annoying.Just take the pump off and get a mustang belt that is made for the 5.0 without the air pump.

Old 03-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Re: smog pump

Originally posted by karnage
I am also eliminating my smog pump.It useless and mine makes
noise as is very annoying.Just take the pump off and get a mustang belt that is made for the 5.0 without the air pump.
Just make sure your cat is removed first. if you don't, it WILL clog, and your truck won't go anywhere.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Thumbs up

Remove your air pump. Get a piece of string, or rope. Then route it around all your pulleys etc mark the rope where it meets. Pull it out and line the ends back up, measure it and go to your Ford dealer and get a new serpetine belt.

Now that this is taken care of you will probably need a new exhaust from the manifolds to your current exhaust, and you will need a new "y" pipe built. This is if you decide not to run cats.

The smog pump went out of my '85 but it did not have catalatic converters when we bought it so we just yanked it out of there and ran a shorter belt. Then again didn't have any problems because that pickup was carbeurated.

Quick Reply: smog/air pump elimination on 5.0L