Pre-1997 Models

Shifter Knob

Old 12-17-2001, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter ****

Does any body know where I might find a shifter **** for my '84 with a 4spd? The problem is the handle doesn't have threads, all it has are virtical grooves all the way around and the facty **** will not stay on. All the aftermarket ones I have found are threaded.

Old 12-18-2001, 09:26 AM
I recently bought a new Bill Elliott shift **** on eBay. It is a ball, and has a small collar on the bottom that surrounds the hole. In the collar are three allen head set screws that you can tighten, and it came with three different nylon/plastic sleeves that fit inside the **** hole and have different inside diameters to allow for mounting on just about any size stick.you could go to eBay and type in your favorite NASCAR drivers name and the word shifter in the search box and see what comes up. Or you could do what I did for my current B&M T handle shifter: Epoxy.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 12-18-2001, 10:31 AM
I saw some from Wal-Mart that were designed for non-threaded shifters. Not as nice as PPKRWUD's suggestion, but they are there if need be.

later

scott

Old 12-20-2001, 08:00 PM
You're right. I was out at Kmart getting a few things so just for fun I looked in the auto section. They had two with those inserts, they were a little too "ricey" for me, but I will keep looking around.

Old 12-20-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by cw50must
They had two with those inserts, they were a little too "ricey" for me, but I will keep looking around.
Yup, the ones at Wal-Mart also only came in annoying green and blue metallic finishes. I have a similar faggy blue color on my threaded shift ****, but I love the shape--so I sanded it, painted it black and clear-coated it...no ricer here.

later

scott

Old 12-30-2001, 04:00 AM
shifter

I had the same problem with my 93 F-150.I was thinking of getting a better shifter or threading and shortening my stock one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Knob