Pre-1997 Models

Tough 1974 F-100 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tough 1974 F-100 project

This truck popped up because the new owner thinks he might be in over his head -- thanks to a blown head gasket. But I thought it was cool because I never seem to see these two-tone trucks with black wheels. And it looks tough! I'd maybe black out the trim to complete the look. What do you think?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have 3 1974 F series trucks. I have one F-100 that is a toy with a highly modded 390 in it. It's also the "D" model Explorer. I have a stock 1974 F-100 with the 360 engine, automatic. And then there is my trailer puller, a 1974 F350 dually with a 410, cam, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gears, everything to make it pull like a Peterbilt....and it does. On a trip from Houston to the Valley in Texas, I drove off from a chipped 6.0 diesel running propane and his bud with the Ram diesel running propane too. Their issue was exhaust gas temps were killing them. But my old Ford just kept going. We were pulling goose neck flatbeds loaded with the same equipment- diesel Brush Hogs. I'm not much of a fan changing the looks of the 74 model trucks. There are so few on the roads anymore that even a stock truck commands attention. Any changes to that is going to distract from the original. But it's what makes you happy, not me.
You say it looks tough. Just wait until you've had it a while. Then you'll know what tough really is. They don't look tough, they are the definition of a tough truck. I'm almost ashame to admit to how I've treated the toy truck. I'm not sure how miles it has on it where all 4 wheels were off of the ground. It's a heck of a jumper. It had a daily diet of that road too for years. The stock truck with the 360 I bumper hitched to an equipment trailer that was just short of 8000lbs empty and had a Clark 6000lb forklift on the trailer. Pulled it great. Stopping was iffy at best. Required new brakes and drums after that load. That's why I own 3 of them. The candyass trucks made today won't even get close to the old ones and that includes the Super Duties. The young folks of today have no clue what a working truck is. You're about to find out. Congrats on buying the toughest SOB on the road.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:44 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I have 3 1974 F series trucks. I have one F-100 that is a toy with a highly modded 390 in it. It's also the "D" model Explorer. I have a stock 1974 F-100 with the 360 engine, automatic. And then there is my trailer puller, a 1974 F350 dually with a 410, cam, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gears, everything to make it pull like a Peterbilt....and it does. On a trip from Houston to the Valley in Texas, I drove off from a chipped 6.0 diesel running propane and his bud with the Ram diesel running propane too. Their issue was exhaust gas temps were killing them. But my old Ford just kept going. We were pulling goose neck flatbeds loaded with the same equipment- diesel Brush Hogs. I'm not much of a fan changing the looks of the 74 model trucks. There are so few on the roads anymore that even a stock truck commands attention. Any changes to that is going to distract from the original. But it's what makes you happy, not me.
You say it looks tough. Just wait until you've had it a while. Then you'll know what tough really is. They don't look tough, they are the definition of a tough truck. I'm almost ashame to admit to how I've treated the toy truck. I'm not sure how miles it has on it where all 4 wheels were off of the ground. It's a heck of a jumper. It had a daily diet of that road too for years. The stock truck with the 360 I bumper hitched to an equipment trailer that was just short of 8000lbs empty and had a Clark 6000lb forklift on the trailer. Pulled it great. Stopping was iffy at best. Required new brakes and drums after that load. That's why I own 3 of them. The candyass trucks made today won't even get close to the old ones and that includes the Super Duties. The young folks of today have no clue what a working truck is. You're about to find out. Congrats on buying the toughest SOB on the road.
Damn! That's amazing! I actually didn't buy this one, but I love these old rigs!

Quick Reply: Tough 1974 F-100 project