Pre-1997 Models

Maf 351w efi e4od

Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Maf 351w efi e4od

1994 f-150 302 efi mass air e4od trans. Low compression. Before someone states "search function" let me convey that there's plenty of information on anything related to a 302:351 swap however there are alot of vin/year breaks where certain systems and components were changed or updated, i.e. air in manifold or air in heads, firing orders between non maf vs SD and on.... I know mechanically what WILL not transfer to a 351 block. Electronically is where my question lies.... What year F series trucks should I be searching for with 5.8L motors that obtain the same firing order as my 94 302? I am going to swap a 351 into my truck and cannot find any concrete information on what year firing orders were the exact same for MAF/EFI engines between the 302 and 351.

I'm not concerned about any emissions related components as jan. 1st 2019 it qualifies as a "antique" in virginia and it's already pre obd II.

Is there a viable option out there that would be a direct swap (exception of mechanical components that wont swap) and not cause running issues as far as electronics go? I understand I currently have EEC, IV to be exact if i'm not mistaken. I'm aware if i find a complete engine from manifold to oil pan I can transfer wiring harness, have read on a couple threads the 5.8 harness is poo. Will EEC-IV efficiently run a non (later model obd-II) EEC-IV motor? Like a 96 or later 5.8L?

Let me note I'm mechanically and electronically inclined and wouldn't mind if something wiring or computer related would need retrofitting. I just want to make sure whatever year truck the donor engine is out of, will not cause any drive-ability issues or headaches as far as communication between ecm and efi on the 5.8L.

From the research I have done, I've seen that some say a 302 ecm will run a 351. However it wasn't specified if it was a SD, MAF or efi. No i'm switching to carb. No i'm not rebuilding my current engine. No i'm not putting another 302 in it.

This is my hunting truck, that i daily drive. 6" lift with 35's. I would ultimately like to run my factory ecm. If there isn't a option out there that would make a swap as simple as replacing complete engine then yes, I would purchase a new reman ecm for a 5.8.

all input and questions are welcomed. New member, first post.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:52 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
All 351W engines use the same firing order as the 302 "HO" - 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. I'm pretty sure that a MAF 302 is HO, just check yours to confirm.

I may be looking at this too simplistically but I don't see why your 302 PCM won't run a 351 as long as you use a MAF and keep the same E4OD.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
All 351W engines use the same firing order as the 302 "HO" - 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. I'm pretty sure that a MAF 302 is HO, just check yours to confirm.

I may be looking at this too simplistically but I don't see why your 302 PCM won't run a 351 as long as you use a MAF and keep the same E4OD.
Thankyou for the reply. In theory what you're saying is how i've been logically thinking about it, HO order same as 351. There's tons of info on this matter but all of it from what i've found is mostly related to swapping SD to MAF visa versa. How does a 302 PCM compensate for more cubes in relation to air/fuel mixture and are the injectors the same size between the two motors? Also have found information on batch vs non batch firing..... Not sure what years all that changed and if i recall that was related to the older blocks if i'm not entirely mistaken, i'm from the euro/jap back round when it comes to engines and electronics. Still trying to grasp all the diff. variations of motors and electronics with this american stuff..... what year did the 351 switch to MAF from the factory? 302 was 94 i think but was it 94 for the 351w as well?

Old 12-14-2018, 03:05 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I believe most Ford engines use 19 lb injectors stock. Rock Auto lists the same part numbers for 302 and 351 injectors. More cubes isn't an issue, the O2 sensors provide mixture feedback to the PCM.

I don't think the 351 went MAF till 95 or 96. I would think you could simply use your 302 intake tube with MAF, and cap off the MAP port on the manifold. Then again, I may be looking at this too simplistically.

EEC-IV is a lot simpler than OBD2 so you can probably get away with a lot more things that OBD2 would require a tune for.

Distributor may be an issue, they are not the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maf 351w efi e4od