Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 DTC 542 intermittent fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F150 DTC 542 intermittent fueling issues

I'm getting pretty frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. I have recently had the bed off replacing first the rear tank and a failed filler neck on the front tank. The problem I'm experiencing is that the truck will act as if it's running out of fuel under acceleration. Sometimes and much much more often on the front tank than the rear. If I flip the tank selector as it's doing it it will go ahead and accelerate. It's like a pump is starting to fail but it's both of them. The fuel pressure is good at key on and idling for both pumps. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the vacuum lines since I accidentally snapped one. It seems like a bad ground but I can't find one that looks bad. Battery connections are good. I'm getting the Following Key On Engine Off codes:

118 engine coolant temperature sensor above maximum voltage / 0 to -40F indicated
10 seperator code

Constant Memory Codes

118 engine coolant temperature sensor above maximum voltage / 0 to -40F indicated
172 HEGO (HO2S) SENSOR FAULT/LEAN
181 HEGO (HO2S) SENSOR FAULT UNABLE TO SWITCH / LEAN DURING PART THROTTLE
542 FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUIT FAULT

I didn't warm up the truck so I assume that's the 118 but let me know if I'm wrong.
I'm also assuming the 172 and 181 lean codes are due to the 542. Hard not to be lean when the pump cuts out.

So I know my next step is to try and chase down the 542 FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUIT FAULT but am not sure of all the components to begin checking or the test procedure for each. I know I need to look at: pump relay, pump selector, fuel pump cut off, pcm, others? what are the test procedures for these?
I would really like to get this figured out as I've done quite a bit of work on the truck recently bringing it back into reasonable shape.

Quick Reply: 93 F150 DTC 542 intermittent fueling issues