Pre-1997 Models

'78 F150 -- no start, no crank, no clicks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 F150 -- no start, no crank, no clicks

My F150 is usually my most reliable vehicle -- takes a lickin', keeps on tickin', ya know. For the past few weeks, though, when I go to crank it up, the key will turn in the ignition but nothing will happen. Like the title says, no start, no crank, no clicks. No nothing. The first time it happened, I fussed with it for a few minutes until finally I tried the gear selector, dropping it out of park and then back in. The truck cranked right up.

For the past few weeks, that's been the way of it, but when I got out there yesterday, it didn't work. I must've shifted out and back into park a dozen times. Nothing.

My automotive knowledge can be classified as "shade tree" at best. I have a ballpark idea of what the problem might be, but I don't know how to describe it (other than above) or what the proper names for the parts might be. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 04-10-2023, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is old but I know for a fact that when you put it in neutral, it will probably start. If you move the shifter around and it starts, there is one or two bolts lose down by the floor board steering column.

Quick Reply: '78 F150 -- no start, no crank, no clicks